The letter was co-sponsored by Women Cross DMZ, a group that organized a peaceful walk last year across the demilitarized zone separating North and South Korea, and the Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom, a prominent antiwar group that is more than 100 years old.
该信由“女性穿越非军事区”(Women Cross DMZ)和国际女性和平自由联盟(Women’s International League for Peace and Freedom)共同发起。前者去年组织了一次穿越隔开朝韩非军事区的和平行走活动，后者则是一个有100多年历史的著名反战组织。
North and South Korea exchanged fire over their heavily fortified border on Thursday, the South Korean Defense Ministry said. Tensions have spiked on the Korean Peninsula in recent weeks after two South Korean soldiers were seriously wounded by land mines in the demilitarized zone. http://cnn.it/1NmXIoY
In the bigger picture, its involvement in such disputes inevitably draws attention to the island’s unsettled international status, and to the future of its relations with China.
Because China bars Taiwan from international treaties, Taiwan cannot ratify the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS). But it follows the convention’s principles. The shooting took place 164 nautical miles (about 300km) south-east of Taiwan, where the “exclusive economic zone” it would be entitled to under UNCLOS overlaps with that of the Philippines.
Joshua Reynolds | Cupid Untying the Zone of Venus | 1788
zone of wines?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Demilitarized_zoneA demilitarized zone, DMZ or DZ is an area in which treaties or agreements between nations, military powers or contending groups forbid military installations, ...
- An area or a region distinguished from adjacent parts by a distinctive feature or characteristic.
- Any of the five regions of the surface of the earth that are loosely divided according to prevailing climate and latitude, including the Torrid Zone, the North and South Temperate zones, and the North and South Frigid zones.
- A similar division on any other planet.
- Mathematics. A portion of a sphere bounded by the intersections of two parallel planes with the sphere.
- Ecology. An area characterized by distinct physical conditions and populated by communities of certain kinds of organisms.
- Anatomy. A ringlike or cylindrical growth or structure.
- Geology. A region or stratum distinguished by composition or content.
- A section of an area or territory established for a specific purpose, as a section of a city restricted to a particular type of building, enterprise, or activity: a residential zone.
- An area of a given radius within which a uniform rate is charged, as for transportation or shipping.
- Computer Science.
- A region on a punch card or on magnetic tape in which nondigital information is recorded.
- A section of storage to be used for a particular purpose.
- Archaic. A belt or girdle.
- To divide into zones.
- To designate or mark off into zones.
- To surround or encircle with or as if with a belt or girdle.
- Of, relating to, associated with, or divided into zones; zonal.
- Sports. Of, relating to, or being a system of defense, especially in basketball and football, in which each defender guards a predetermined part of the playing area rather than an individual player.
zone out Informal.
- To lose concentration or become inattentive.
in the zone
- InformalIn a state of focused attention or energy so that one's performance is enhanced:a goalie who was in the zone throughout the playoffs. In a state of focused attention or energy so that one's performance is enhanced: a goalie who was in the zone throughout the playoffs.
[Middle English, one of the encircling regions of the earth, from Latin zōna, girdle, celestial zone, from Greek zōnē.]
1 （ふつう環状の）地帯, 地域, 地区. ⇒AREA[類語]
a combat ［a demilitarized］ zone
a neutral zone
[類語]zone境界が明確な区域という観念が強い. area境界が明確でなく, 大ざっぱに地域という場合：a snowfall in the east Kanto area関東東部一帯の降雪. belt, strip細長い地域をさす：a coastal industrial belt沿岸工業地帯/a sand strip細長い砂地.
the Torrid Zone
the North ［the South］ Temperate Zone
the North ［the South］ Frigid Zone
the vegetated ［the alpine］ zone
4 （都市で, 特定の）地区, 地域
a residential ［a school, a commercial］ zone
5 （交通・輸送などの）同一料金区域［区間］；（米国の郵便制度で）郵便区（▼Chicago 5のように配達都市名のあとに記す）.
6 《地質学》層準の一つ. ⇒HORIZON
a spherical zone
10 ((俗))ゾーン：超一流スポーツ選手が到達する精神状態；脳の活動が最高潮に達し, 時間の流れが遅くなるような感覚をもち, 体が自然に反応する
in the zone
1 …に帯［ひも］で印をつける；…を帯［ひも, ベルト］で取り囲む［巻く］.
2 …を地区［地帯］に分ける, 区画［区分］する.
3 ［V[名]as[名]/III[名][副]］〈都市・町・地域などを〉（住宅・商業・文教地区などに）区画［区分］規制する((for ...))
zone the area as residential
This neighborhood is zoned for single-family housing.
zone itゾーンにはいる, 無我の境地になる. ⇒[名]10
Exclusive Economic Zone
(DOD) A maritime zone adjacent to the territorial sea that may not extend beyond 200 nautical miles from the baselines from which the breadth of the territorial sea is measured. Within the exclusive economic zone (EEZ), the coastal state has sovereign rights for the purpose of exploring, exploiting, conserving, and managing natural resources, both living and nonliving, of the seabed, subsoil, and the subjacent waters and, with regard to other activities, for the economic exploitation and exploration of the zone (e.g., the production of energy from the water, currents, and winds). Within the EEZ, the coastal state has jurisdiction with regard to establishing and using artificial islands, installations, and structures having economic purposes as well as for marine scientific research and the protection and preservation of the marine environment. Other states may, however, exercise traditional high seas freedoms of navigation, overflight, and related freedoms, such as conducting military exercises in the EEZ. Also called EEZ.
- exclusive economic zone
Definition of nautical
Meaning #1: a flight by an aircraft over a particular area (especially over an area in foreigh territory)