―from LIVING TO TELL THE TALE by Gabriel García Márquez
Millennials are becoming parents at a rapid rate. So how is Amazon.com targeting them on their site? Wharton Magazine explains.
By STUART ELLIOTT
Miller Fortune, at 6.9 percent alcohol by volume, is meant to appeal to a generation that buys distilled spirits more than its older siblings.
Any religious movement based on the observation by local residents of the delivery of supplies by ship and aircraft to colonial officials. Cargo cults were observed chiefly in Melanesia in the late 19th and early 20th centuries. They were characterized by the expectation of a new age of blessing and prosperity to be initiated by the arrival of a special "cargo" of goods from supernatural sources. Such beliefs may have expressed traditional millennial ideas, often revived by the teaching of Christian missions.
〝上面提到的一些教育或心理學上的研究﹐都是屬於我稱之為「草包族科學」（cargo cult science﹐較好的譯法為「飛來美貨科學」）的最佳例子。大戰期間﹐在南太平洋有一些土人﹐看到飛機降落在地面﹐卸下來一包包的好東西﹐其中一些是送 給他們的。往後他們仍然希望能發生同樣的事﹐於是他們在同樣的地點鋪設飛機跑道﹐兩旁還點上了火﹐蓋了間小茅屋﹐派人坐在那裡﹐頭上綁了兩塊木頭（假裝是 耳機）、插了根竹子（假裝是天線）﹐以為這就等於控制塔裡的領航員了﹐然後他們等待─等待飛機降落。他們被稱為草包族﹐他們每件事都作對了﹐一切都十分神 似﹐看來跟戰時沒什麼兩樣；但這行不通﹐飛機始終沒有降落下來。這就是為什麼我叫這類東西為「草包族科學」﹐因為它們完全學足了科學研究的外表﹐一切都十 分神似﹐但是事實上它們缺乏了最重要的部份─因為飛機始終沒有降落下來。〞
除了把〝飛來美貨崇拜症〞當作〝不良科學（bad science）〞外﹐也可以從人文、社會等更廣泛的角度來看它﹐此所以社會人類學家對它有專書及專文*介紹之因。換句話說﹐它是一種〝前科學〞與〝心靈 寄託〞﹐這猶如今日各界〝拜拜及風水〞之風仍盛的理由。這種〝無法教化的心靈（unschooled mind﹐借用H. Gardner的書名）〞對人及社會的影響力極大。
Millennials—those born between 1980 and 2000—are said to be natural collaborators and team players. We think companies should beware of dubious generalisations about younger workers. Do you agree with stereotypes about this generation? http://econ.st/1LUPPoC
- Millennials (also known as the Millennial Generation or Generation Y) are the demographic cohort following Generation X. There are no precise dates when the generation starts and ends; most researchers and commentators use birth years ranging from the early 1980s to the early 2000s.
請注意英文中的”the”指特定的。不過，「千載」的明目數量雖與西方的the millennium(千年（說）；千福年；千禧年王國；太平盛世)不相同)。後者是基督教教會初期，有人根據默示錄（廿4-6），誤認為世界末日即將來臨，來臨前將有千年之昇平時期（盛世）。事實上，千年只表示一段不確定的時期而已。又稱 Chiliasm。
millennium (plural millennia or millenniums)
a period of 1000 years, or the time when a period of 1000 years ends:
The corpse had lain preserved in the soil for almost two millennia.
How did you celebrate the Millennium?
millennial Show phonetics
the Millennium Bug noun [U]
a problem with older computers whose clocks were unable to recognise dates after 31 December 1999, which was expected to result in computer programs and systems failing to work properly after 01 January 2000
(from Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary)
- 1 denoting or relating to a period of a thousand years: the current increase in hurricanes is only a small fluctuation within this longer millennial cycle
- 2 denoting or relating to an anniversary of a thousand years: the millennial anniversary of Leif Eiriksson’s voyage to the New World the millennial celebrations in New York’s Times Square
- 2.1 denoting those people reaching young adulthood around the year 2000: most social networking groups are dominated by the millennial generation
More example sentences
- Born from 1975 to 1980, these cuspers possess an interesting mix of generation X skepticism and millennial optimism.
- So while low-carb beers are helping to shape the svelte images of protein-munching youth, there is another type of beer that is appealing to a Millennial subset, especially in the hip bars of urban city centers.
- A higher proportion of millennial adults (those 26 years of age and younger) have become core wine drinkers, more than Generation X.
noun(also Millennial) a person reaching young adulthood around the year 2000; a Generation Yer: the industry brims with theories on what makes millennials tick another distinguishing feature of Millennials is that they come to college from a lifestyle that was highly scheduledMore example sentences
- Boomers are more process oriented while Xers and Millennials are known to be questioning generations.
- Mentoring is especially important to Xers and Millennials who usually welcome the opportunity to learn from an experienced advisor.
- But rising Millennials will be encouraged to build more than reflect.
adjectiverelating to or believing in Christian millenarianism. More example sentences
- If the turn of the second millennium was not unlike the first in its lack of eschatological millenarian fervor, the end of the 20th century was much unlike the end of the 19th century.
- There has already been speculation from the apocalyptically inclined about how a Gibsonian reading of the Popol Vuh might dovetail with Christian millenarian prophecies of the End Times.
- One only needs direct access to the Gospels unmediated by historical traditions and unencumbered by church doctrines to find there the paradigmatic model of a successful millenarian cult.