By BARRY MEIER
Experts say that doctors, despite the dangers, often keep patients on high-strength painkillers known as opioids for years without properly checking to see if their conditions improve.
這 類藥物直接作用於中樞神經，止痛效果快又好，但是副作用也不少，像是暈眩、呼吸抑制、腸胃活動抑制等，造成病患腹脹、便秘，還有成癮性的顧慮。所以僅建議 在急性期使用，也要盡量遵守「最短期間、最小劑量」的原則，隨時調整，以避免不必要的藥量。因此此類藥物不適宜規律給藥，一般以需要時給藥、或如前述由病 患自控式給藥，較為恰當。
By ANDREW POLLACK
The agency said that the group, the Natural Resources Defense Council, had failed to show that the popular herbicide was harmful as used.
Even though weeds grow, don't hate them. — Hakuun Yasutani, Source: Flowers Fall, 1996, Translated by Paul Jaffe
It's not the bazooka the market was looking for, but coordinated action by six central banks to provide cheaper access to U.S. dollar funding is a significant response to the crisis.
At Amazon, Giving In to Demands
By MOTOKO RICH and BRAD STONE
In a strongly worded message, Amazon said that while it disagreed with Macmillan’s stance, it would accept the publisher’s plan on e-book prices.
point of view: Definition, Synonyms from Answers.com
... "When the Russians feel strongly about an issue they form a bloody
revolution — the British write a strongly-worded letter to Points of View". ...
- Sultana (grape), a white seedless grape
- Sultana (dried grape), the name given to some forms of dried grape (known generically as "raisins" elsewhere) in certain countries
- Sultana (title), a female sultan
adj., strong·er, strong·est.
- Physically powerful; capable of exerting great physical force.
- Marked by great physical power: a strong blow to the head.
- In good or sound health; robust: a strong constitution; a strong heart.
- Economically or financially sound or thriving: a strong economy.
- Having force of character, will, morality, or intelligence: a strong personality.
- Having or showing ability or achievement in a specified field: students who are strong in chemistry.
- Capable of the effective exercise of authority: a strong leader.
- Capable of withstanding force or wear; solid, tough, or firm: a strong building; a strong fabric.
- Having great binding strength: a strong adhesive.
- Not easily captured or defeated: a strong flank; a strong defense.
- Not easily upset; resistant to harmful or unpleasant influences: strong nerves; a strong stomach.
- Having force or rapidity of motion: a strong current.
- Persuasive, effective, and cogent: a strong argument.
- Forceful and pointed; emphatic: a strong statement.
- Forthright and explicit, often offensively so: strong language.
- Extreme; drastic: had to resort to strong measures.
- Having force of conviction or feeling; uncompromising: strong faith; a strong supporter.
- Intense in degree or quality: a strong emotion; strong motivation.
- Having an intense or offensive effect on the senses: strong light; strong vinegar; strong cologne.
- Clear and loud: a strong voice.
- Readily noticeable; remarkable: a strong resemblance; a strong contrast.
- Readily detected or received: a strong radio signal.
- Having a high concentration of an essential or active ingredient: mixed a strong solution of bleach and water.
- Containing a considerable percentage of alcohol: strong punch.
- Powerfully effective: a strong painkiller.
- Characterized by a high degree of saturation.
- Having a specified number of units or members: a military force 100,000 strong.
- Marked by steady or rising prices: a strong market.
- Of or relating to those verbs in Germanic languages that form their past tense by a change in stem vowel, and their past participles by a change in stem vowel and sometimes by adding the suffix -(e)n, as sing, sang, sung or tear, tore, torn.
- Of or relating to the inflection of nouns or adjectives in Germanic languages with endings that historically did not contain a suffix with an n.
- Stressed or accented in pronunciation or poetic meter. Used of a word or syllable.
In a strong, powerful, or vigorous manner; forcefully: a salesperson who comes on too strong.
[Middle English, from Old English strang.]strongish strong'ish adj.
strongly strong'ly adv.
dig (up) weeds
4 ((the 〜))((略式))タバコ, 葉巻；[U]((古風))マリファナ.
weed the lawn
2 〈好ましくないものなどを〉（…から）取り除く((out/from ...)).
1 ((〜s))((古))喪服.2 （帽子・腕に巻く）喪章.
Pronunciation: /ˈkilər/Translate killer | into French | into German | into Italian | into Spanish