Seventy years after the event, a new museum seeks to tell the story of the Partition of India and its aftermath. It tackles an extremely difficult subject with simplicity and directness. https://www.apollo-magazine.com/inside-indias-first-partit…/
White House Offers Stealth Campaign to Support Immigration Bill
By MICHAEL D. SHEAR
President Obama's staff has turned a suite of offices into an immigration war room on Capitol Hill, aiming to secure passage of the first immigration overhaul in a quarter century.
With Vouchers, States Shift Aid for Schools to Families
By FERNANDA SANTOS and MOTOKO RICH
Critics of the programs see money being taken out of public school systems at a time when resources are already strained.
By TRIP GABRIEL
As president, Mitt Romney said, he would seek to overhaul the government’s largest school programs into a voucherlike system, replacing top-down Washington mandates.
EuroVox 19.01.2009 05:30
Linz' Hotel Project Offers Small Insights Into City Life
Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: Waiting for a room can become an adventure
At the ‘Pixel Hotel’, guests stay in rooms are spread around the city -- literally little ‘pixels’ of comfort.
Bildunterschrift: Großansicht des Bildes mit der Bildunterschrift: Tea and a game of monopoly in the renovated camper van -- inside a huge loft apartment
In 2009, the city of Linz in Austria is playing host as the culture capital of Europe.
For those who want a more personal city experience, the "Linz 09" project group has designed a unique overnight experience. Visitors can book a night in an old barge, a warehouse or an art gallery -- with breakfast vouchers to introduce them to favorite cafes spread across the city.
Report: Peta Jenkin
On Nov. 29, 1947, the U.N. General Assembly passed a resolution calling for Palestine to be partitioned between Arabs and Jews.
Definition of war room 戰情室
- A large, usually unpartitioned floor over a factory, warehouse, or other commercial or industrial space.
- Such a floor converted into an apartment or artist's studio.
- An open space under a roof; an attic or garret.
- A gallery or balcony, as in a church.
- A hayloft.
- The backward slant of the face of a golf club head, designed to drive the ball in a high arc.
- A golf stroke that drives the ball in a high arc.
- The upward course of a ball driven in a high arc.
- The thickness of a fabric or yarn.
- The thickness of an item, such as a down comforter, that is filled with compressible insulating material.
v., loft·ed, loft·ing, lofts. v.tr.
- To put, store, or keep in a loft.
- To propel in a high arc: lofted the ball into the outfield.
- Nautical. To lay out a full-size drawing of (the parts of a ship's hull, for example).
- To propel something, especially a ball, in a high arc.
- To rise high into the air.
[Middle English, sky, upstairs room, from Old English, air, from Old Norse lopt, upstairs room, sky, air.]
voucher 可以是"教育"/食品.....券 由擁有者自行決定用在那兒. voucherlike類似此系統