2015年12月29日 星期二

near, by all accounts, stick with sth/sb, Any-and-All Bid

Jan 28, 9:29 pm
By all accounts, the initial meeting Wednesday between the new president and a tech-dominated group of corporate CEOs was a sober affair. But that's not the tone that stuck with Michael Splinter, chief executive of Applied Materials.


Christendom is superior to any and all other systems of civilised life...in all respects and at any points.
Investment Dictionary:

TOP STORY



FCC Nears Approval of XM-Sirius Deal
Commissioners at the U.S. Federal Communications Commission reached a tentative deal to approve the proposed merger between Sirius and XM.

near Show phonetics
adverbpreposition
1 not far away in distance:
Is there a train station near here?
I'd like to sit near a window, please.
Don't come too near me - you might catch my cold.
The hotel is near the airport.
Which bus stop is nearest (to) your house?
I was standing just near enough to hear what they were saying.

2 not far away in time:
As the date of his operation drew near, he became more and more anxious.
Her birthday was getting nearer and I still hadn't bought her a present.
UK We can decide which route to take nearer the time.

3 almost in a particular state or condition:
The runners looked near exhaustion.
I was near (to) tears (= almost cried) at one point during the film.

near Show phonetics
adjective [before noun]
1 not far away in distance, time, characteristics or quality:
Where's the nearest post office?
My pocket knife is the nearest thing (= the most similar thing) to a weapon that I have.
I couldn't get any cream cheese so I bought the nearest equivalent (= the most similar thing) that I could find.

2 UK Your near relatives are those who are closely related to you, such as your parents, brothers or sisters.

near- Show phonetics
prefix
combines with adjectives and nouns to mean 'almost':
We had a near-disaster this morning in the car!
She was near-hysterical by the time I arrived there.

near Show phonetics
verb [I or T]
to get close to something in distance, time or state:
I'm pleased to say the project is nearing completion.
As the wedding day neared, I started to have second thoughts about getting married.
The captain switched on the seat belt sign as we neared the airport.

nearness Show phonetics
noun [U]
I bought my house because of its nearness to the office where I work.

Any-and-All Bid

A bid made to purchase all stock being offered at a specific price.
Investopedia Says:
Any and all bids are commonly used by companies attempting takeovers. The acquiring company will place an order to buy any stock being offered for a set duration or up to a set quantity.

For example, if company A wanted to acquire 50% of company B's stock, they may place an any and all bid for $10. This would result in company A buying any shares being offered on public exchanges for $10 or less.


By all accounts
Also, according to all accounts. From all reports available, from what everyone is saying. For example, By all accounts the party was a great success, or They spent a fortune on their cruise, according to all accounts. These phrases rely on account in the sense of "a particular report or description of some event." [Late 1700s]
stick with sth/sb phrasal verb INFORMAL
to continue doing something or using someone to do work for you, and not stopping or changing to something or someone else:
He said that he was going to stick with the traditions established by his grandfather.
He's a good car mechanic - I think we should stick with him.

沒有留言: