Sorry, Boys, This Is Our Domain
By STEPHANIE ROSENBLOOM
Research shows that the cyberpioneers of the moment are digitally effusive teenage girls.
We tend to think of Drucker as forever old, a gnomic and mysterious elder. At least I always did. His speech, always slow and measured, was forever accented in that commanding Viennese. His wisdom could not have come from anyone who was young. So it's easy to forget his dashing youth, his long devotion to one woman and their four children (until the end, Drucker still greeted his wife of 71 years with an effusive "Hello, my darling!"), or even his deliciously self-deprecating sense of play.
展「莊喆回顧展→鴻濛與酣暢」(Effusive Vitality: CHUANG CHE Retrospective Exhibition )，既是莊喆個人的創作歷程，也是全面研究其藝術思想與作品的重要展覽。莊喆執著自由澎湃的繪畫與書寫文字，從六○年代發展至今，從台灣走向國際，伴隨現代美術運動的各個階段歷程。本次展覽之繪畫展品包括：油畫、壓克力彩、雕塑，從數百件作品之中精選出百餘件作品，展品從六○年代初跨越至今，完整呈現其藝術風貌。
multifarious, wont, in large measure
Celebrate by reading E.L. Doctorow's essay on ‘As I Lay Dying’: “It is possible that the way writers live can find its equivalent in their sense of composition, as if the technical daring of Faulkner’s greatest work has behind it the overreaching desire to hold together in one place the multifarious energies of real, unstoried life.”
“The possibility of improving the economy of steel to the consumer is therefore largely a matter of improving its uniformity of quality, of fitting steels better for each of the multifarious uses rather than of any direct lessening of its cost of production.” John Johnston, Director of Research, United States Steel Corporation
“Thus in many directions the engineer of the future, in my judgment, must of necessity deal with a much more certain and more intimate knowledge of the materials with which he works than we have been wont to deal with in the past. As a result of this more intimate knowledge his structures will be more refined and his factors of safety in many directions are bound to be less because the old elements of uncertainty will have in large measure disappeared.” Frank B. Jewett, President, Bell Telephone Laboratories, Inc.
Pronunciation: /wônt, wōnt/
adjective[predic.] • literary
- (Of a person) in the habit of doing something; accustomed: he was wont to arise at 5:30 every morning
- And if practicality is your wont rather than sentimentality, you should still go.
- Tom Wood ruled the vast Citadel Theatre Shoctor Stage as he is wont.
- Anthony loved it but, as customers are wont to do, he insisted I name the drink.
noun(one's wont) • formal or • humorous
OriginOld English gewunod, past participle of wunian, 'dwell, be accustomed' of Germanic origin.
- 1.1 Having many varied parts or aspects: a vast multifarious organization
- One must be aware of the fact that Egyptian political culture is multifarious, and given the brevity of this paper it would be illogical to attempt to fully examine every part of society.
- Two years ago there was no doubt about who was number one in the Indian satellite market; today, that same pioneer is number three, even as the company's empire has become huge and multifarious.
- The multifarious diversity so characteristic of Prague court patronage helps to explain the almost contradictory and very varied nature of the art produced by the School of Prague.
Originlate 16th century: from Latin multifarius + -ous.
- 3A certain quantity or degree of something: the states retain a large measure of independence
- This they did with a fair measure of success from the 1940s through to the 1970s.
- Well, if we're all still speaking at the end and the PIC site is being accessed and used, we have a good measure of success.
- There was more than one instance where claws sunk into soft tissue and offered them a small measure of success.
Middle English (as a noun in the senses 'moderation', 'instrument for measuring', 'unit of capacity'): from Old French mesure, from Latin mensura, from mens- 'measured', from the verb m
adjective FORMAL ━━ a. あふれる（ばかりの）, （感情を）くどくどと表す.
expressing welcome, approval or pleasure in a way that shows very strong feeling:
They gave us such an effusive welcome it was quite embarrassing.