Artist, musician and engineer Leonardo da Vinci died on May 2nd 1519. One book paints Leonardo as a genius, another presents him uncut, looking similar to a fallen angel. Which Leonardo you choose depends on whether you prefer your heroes on or off their pedestal.
Times Square: The Naked Truth
By JAN GEHL, JEFF RISOM and JULIA DAYThe answer to panhandlers is not more cars, but more culture.
Woody Allen's Harry Block takes the elevator to Hell, which manages to include some sinners Dante didn't specify: "Floor Five: Subway muggers, aggressive panhandlers, and book critics. Floor Six: right-wing extremists, serial killers, lawyers who appear on television. Floor Seven: The Media. Sorry, that floor is all filled up. Floor Eight: escaped war criminals, TV evangelists, and the NRA." After a run-in with his father, Harry has a chat with the devil character (Billy Crystal), who offers to turn on the air conditioning ("it f___s up the ozone layer").
As cartoon creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker would have it, Hell is a place where Satan and Saddam Hussein are lovers. The 1999 movie South Park: Bigger Longer & Uncut arrived in theaters two years after the series debuted on Comedy Central.
v. Informal, -dled, -dling, -dles. v.intr.
To approach strangers and beg for money or food.
- To approach and beg from (a stranger).
- To obtain by approaching and begging from a stranger: panhandled money. See synonyms at cadge.
- The handle of a pan.
- often Panhandle A narrow strip of territory projecting from a larger, broader area, as in Alaska, Idaho, Oklahoma, Texas, and West Virginia.
- Not cut: uncut hair.
- Printing. Having the page edge not slit or trimmed. Used of a book.
- Not cut or ground to a specific shape. Used of a gemstone.
- Not condensed, abridged, or shortened, as by an editor or censor: the uncut version of the scandalous story.
- Slang. Uncircumcised. Used of a man or boy.