Squirrel on trailing vine. Woodblock print. Kachoga. Utagawa Hiroshige. Japan.
The rising unemployment rate has left many Taiwanese with a strong sense that society is unjust and the gap between rich and poor is widening. Some 62.1 percent of respondents described the income gap as a "very serious" problem, and another 23.7 percent described the problem as "serious." The total of 85.8 percent of respondents identifying the divide between rich and poor as a serious problem was the second highest since the question was first asked in 2002, trailing only the 86.9 percent who thought the problem serious at the beginning of 2007. (Table 4)
Kodak's Loss Narrows With Digital Growth
Kodak's loss narrowed without major restructuring charges for the first time in years, but results trailed expectations due to rising costs of silver and aluminum used in the company's film and printing-plate operations.
trail (COME AFTER) Show phonetics
1 [I or T; usually + adverb or preposition] to (allow something to) move slowly along the ground or through the air or water, after someone or something:
Katherine, your skirt's trailing in the mud!
As the boat moved along, he trailed his hand in the water.
2 be trailing to be losing to your competitor in a competition:
The Swiss team are trailing by 6 points.
The Nationalist Party is trailing (behind) the Liberals in the opinion polls.
3 [I usually + adverb or preposition] to move slowly and without energy or enthusiasm:
The delegates trailed back into the conference room for the afternoon session.
After a mile or two the youngest children were trailing behind.
trailing Show phonetics
adjective [before noun]
describes plants that grow along the ground or over the surface of something:
a trailing rose
campaign trail noun [C usually singular]
a series of planned events in different places attended or given by a politician who is trying to be elected:
She went on the campaign trail around the Southern states with Clinton before the 1992 election.