2016年6月19日 星期日

embarrassed, off base, show sb up (EMBARRASS), entombment

“So I turned my face away from the sun--I turned it so it was pressed against my father's neck mostly--and then I knew, in a childish way, knew from the heat (of his neck, of his shirt collar), knew by childish deduction, that his face was unprotected from the luminousness all around us and I looked; and it was so: his face for the moment unembarrassedly, was caught in that light. In an accidental glory.”
--from "His Son, in His Arms, in Light, Aloft" by Harold Brodkey


Disasters in China and Myanmar
No time to sit back
May 15th 2008
From The Economist print edition
China has shown up Myanmar's generals. But it is not too late for outsiders to help the BurmeseBEICHUAN, China — On television, the miraculous survivor stories have begun to fade, replaced with reruns of dramatic rescues. A man who endured entombment for 148 hours in the town of Yingxiu was rescued and celebrated Sunday.


off base

Wrong, relying on a mistaken premise, as in His description of the accounting system was totally off base.

Pentagon says 'no' to Google Earth
Bizjournals.com - Charlotte,NC,USA
The Pentagon has banned Google Inc. from making street-level video maps of military bases in the United States, according to reports Thursday. ...
Pentagon to Google Earth: You're off base
Dallas Morning News - Dallas,TX,USA
With all due respect to the fine work the Google Earth teams may be doing, this decision seems like a no-brainer to me. I'll be hiding in the green room if ...


This metaphoric term originated in baseball, where a runner who steps off a base can be put out. [c. 1940]


entombment
the ritual placing of a corpse in a grave

show sb up (EMBARRASS) phrasal verb [M]
to behave in a way which makes someone you are with feel ashamed or embarrassed:
I wish you wouldn't show me up in front of my parents by getting so drunk.


embarrassed

Pronunciation: /ɪmˈbarəst/  
 /ɛmˈbarəst/ 

ADJECTIVE

1Feeling or showing embarrassment:I felt quite embarrassed whenever I talked to heran embarrassed silence
1.1Having or showing financial difficulties:he had to sort out the embarrassed financial affairs of his brother

Derivatives

embarrassedly

ADVERB

沒有留言: