First responders arrived at his home and found Rago with no obvious signs of trauma.
TO THE RESCUE: Good Samaritan uses baseball bat to break the windows of a Jeep so first responders can rescue a driver in a car accident in Boca Raton, Florida. http://abcn.ws/2nrITLf
Japan is scrambling fighters at near-unprecedented levels in response to foreign aircraft approaching its airspace, the defence ministry says.
Japan jet scrambles 'near Cold War record'
Japan says it is scrambling fighters at almost Cold War levels in response to foreign aircraft - mainly Russian and Chinese - approaching its airspace.
RAF Jets scrambled after Russian bombers spotted off coast of Cornwall
By PETER BAKER and JANE PERLEZ
The Obama administration is urging American commercial airlines to comply with China's new air defense zone, hours after China scrambled jets to patrol it.
BY YUKA HAYASHITOKYO—Japan's air force scrambled fighter jets against Chinese aircraft a record number of times in the year ended in March, the Self-Defense Forces announced Wednesday, underscoring the sharp escalation in tensions in the East Asian sky as the two neighbors engage in a bitter territorial row.
Cases of such scrambles surged to 306 in the fiscal year that ended March 31, from 156 a year earlier. It was the highest number since the SDF, or the Japanese military, started breaking down the scramble data by country in 2001. In total, 567 cases of scrambles were reported last year, the highest ...
RIM scrambled to restore service to millions of BlackBerry users around the world as the company's worst-ever outage vexed office workers, officials, emergency responders and others who rely on the messaging device.
By JONATHAN LETHEM
Reviewed by GREGORY COWLES
This novel of an alternate-reality Manhattan, where an escaped tiger roams the streets and Times readers can opt for a "war-free" edition, is at its heart a traditional bildungs roman with a strong moral compass.
v., -spond·ed, -spond·ing, -sponds. v.intr.
- To make a reply; answer. See synonyms at answer.
- To act in return or in answer.
- To react positively or favorably: The patient has responded rapidly to the treatment.
To give as a reply; answer.
A pilaster or half-pier engaged to a wall and carrying one end of an arch or groin, often at the end of an arcade.
[Middle English responden, from Old French respondre, from Latin respondēre : re-, re- + spondēre, to promise.]responder re·spond'er n.
noun[usually in singular]
Origin:late 16th century: imitative; compare with the dialect words scamble 'stumble' and cramble 'crawl'
1 ［I（[副]）］〈人が〉（敏捷に）よじ登る, はい登る, 這い進む；急いで移動する［進む, 位置を変える］
2 ［I（[副]）］（…を）奪い合う((for, after ...))；（…しようと）先を争う((to do))
4 《アメフト》〈クォーターバックが〉スクランブルする：相手のパスラッシュを避け, 瞬時に走路を見つけて走る.
scramble names and faces
4 （盗視聴防止のため）〈電話・無線の送信過程に〉雑音を混入する, 〈テレビの〉周波数を変換する.
1 ((a 〜))はい登ること, はい登り, よじ登り.
2 ((a 〜))（…の）奪い合い, 先陣争い((for ...))；（…しようと）先を争うこと((to do))
a mad scramble
3 《軍事》スクランブル, 緊急発進.
Science Fiction Dictionary (n.)
An alternative world.
One of many possible space-time continua, having a different history or physical laws than our own space-time continuum.
- 1950 J. D. MacDonald Shadow on Sand Thrilling Wonder Stories (Oct.) № 27/1: We have made the basic and very important discovery of a twin planetary system corresponding to our own, separated from us only by a symbolic logician's definition of reality. [...] The twin world exists because any definitive explanation of reality presupposes alternate realities.
- 1968 K. Laumer Assignment in Nowhere № 51: They created a field in which the energy of normal temporal flow was deflected at what we may consider right angles to the normal direction. Objects and individuals enclosed in the field then moved, not forward in time as in nature, but across the lines of alternate reality.
- 1989 L. Frankowski Flying Warlord № 195: "What? No. I'm not all right, you idiot! I'm dead! Don't you realize that we just saw me die?" "But you know that this is some kind of alternate reality. It's not exactly real."
- 1989 G. A. Effinger Everything But Honor Isaac Asimov's SF Mag. Feb. № 120: When they returned to T0, Placide and Fein discovered [...] that their excursion in time had not changed the past, but rather created a new alternate reality.
- 1992 Locus (Aug.) № 31/3: Anyone reasonably well-read in sf will pick up on the possibility of alternate realities here, but things get stranger.