2022年3月2日 星期三

tribalism, disinherit, to transition, headspace, ewe

May I Disinherit My Right-Wing Daughters?

The magazine’s Ethicist columnist on when tribalism tears a family apart.

Even though my daughters grew up in a very progressive household, they have embraced the opposite political side from me. My granddaughter hears all the talk in her family, and I feel sure she believes she is hearing the truth. One of my daughters also does not believe in the vaccine and did not have my granddaughter vaccinated. I do not discuss politics with them any longer. They get all their information from the internet and don’t read the mainstream press. The worst thing of all to me is that they believe the election was stolen.



SCITECH | In a Feb. 10 press release, the Yale New Haven Health System announced an expansion of its hospital network as part of a larger agreement with the Prospect Medical Holdings Incorporation.



YALEDAILYNEWS.COM
Yale New Haven Health System purchases three hospitals in Connecticut, transitions them to nonprofits - Yale Daily




headspace
/ˈhɛdspeɪs/
noun
  1. 1.
    the air or empty space left above the contents in a sealed container.
    "pour the hot chutney into the jars, leaving 5 mm headspace"
  2. 2.
    INFORMAL
    a person's state of mind or mindset.
    "if you're not in the right headspace for this stuff it's going to bore you, no matter how well it's done"



Works of art featured:

“Head of a Ewe,” Sumerian, c. 3300–2900 B.C.
Jean-Baptiste Greuze, “La Simplicité (Simplicity),” 1759
Kahn Building, photography by Robert LaPrelle, Kimbell Art Museum
“Court Lady,” Chinese, first half of the 8th century A.D.
Caravaggio (Michelangelo Merisi), “The Cardsharps,” c. 1595
Luis Meléndez, “Still Life with Oranges, Jars, and Boxes of Sweets,” c. 1760–65
Francisco de Goya, “Portrait of the Matador Pedro Romero,” c. 1795–98
Jacob van Ruisdael, “Rough Sea at a Jetty,” 1650s



沒有留言: