2021年12月4日 星期六

nous, pixy, smelly though it was,

 

“The Society of Reluctant Dreamers,” by José Eduardo Agualusa

Translated by Daniel Hahn. Fiction, 2020

When I received the copy of this book that I’d bought on eBay, I noticed it smelled strongly of stale cigarettes. This wouldn’t have been a problem if it smelled like fresh cigarettes, which is an odor I enjoy, but stale cigarettes are a separate category — they remind me of warm Sprite, doors that almost but don’t fully close and other unsettling things. I persisted because I loved one of the author’s previous novels so much that the idea of skipping this one, smelly though it was, was inconceivable.



Illustration by Fanny Cory Cooney(1877-1972) from "The Fairy Alphabet"




He reflects on the programme’s early days, its flaws and successes, as well as the outlook for young Malays amid a Covid-hit economy.



pixy - (folklore) fairies that are somewhat mischievouself, gremlin, imp, pixie, hob, brownie. folklore - the unwritten lore (stories and proverbs and riddles and songs) of a culture. faerie, faery, fay, sprite - a small being, human in form, playful and having magical powers.



nous, (Greek: “mind” or “intellect”) in philosophy, the faculty of intellectual apprehension and of intuitive thought. ... It is sometimes identified with the highest or divine intellect.


沒有留言: