2020年3月30日 星期一

highbrow, lowbrow, sag, saggy, dingy, get cold feet, 20 Flight Rock,


The collapse of OneWeb raises concerns over the financial health of SoftBank's unlisted assets.
https://s.nikkei.com/2JpEphz
ASIA.NIKKEI.COM
SoftBank shares sag after satellite investment collapses


1958: The War of the Intellectuals
By RACHEL DONADIO
Fifty years ago, American critics worried about the collapsing distinction among highbrow, middlebrow and lowbrow.


Japan's pineapple pen song goes highbrow with Kabuki makeover
CNN
Japan's National Theatre -- better known for puppet shows and traditional drama Kabuki -- has taken inspiration from Piko Taro's viral YouTube clip ...


【PPAP】 Pen Pineapple Apple Pen - FULL SONG
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu5G443dQ4A


How Much Mess Is Perfect at Home A9

In its new January catalogs, Pottery Barn aims for the perfectly indented pillow or saggy-enough sofa to look realistic. The furniture maker is also selling more small, apartment-size pieces.


Kerry calls Brexit 'complicated divorce' that may not happen, says London has cold feet
The Japan Times

U.S. Secretary of State John Kerry said on Tuesday that Britain's vote to leave the European ...

Japan's face-authorizing cigarette machines no match for Bruce ...
engadget - Santa Monica,CA,USA
by Thomas Ricker, posted Jul 1st 2008 at 3:43AM Remember those Japanese vending machines that use face recognition to scan for wrinkles and saggy skin ...

A good bill from the Virginia House to crack down on underage DUI winds up DOA in the Senate.
(The Washington Post)


 英國專門出版流行音樂相關書籍的「創世紀」出版公司
(Genesis Publications 網站:www.genesis-publications.com/)適逢創社三十週年,因而在倫敦舉辦名為「三十年飛躍搖滾」(Thirty Flight Rock)的盛大攝影展……

HC:「三十年飛躍搖滾」(Thirty Flight Rock)的翻譯似乎有點可商議。我想它或許是「三十年(Thirty)飛航(Flight)亂流震蕩(Rock)」的雙關語(PUN)--謝謝小讀者更正---

Thirty Flight Rock 是借用搖滾樂手Eddie Cochran的歌曲Twenty Flight Rock的文字遊戲

歌中的Flight指幾層樓樓梯, 不可數名詞



Twenty Flight Rock (Fairchild/Cochran)



Oh I get a girl with a record machine

When it comes to rockin she's the queen

We go to dance on saturday night

I'm all alone and I hold her tight

But she live on the twentieth floor in town

The elevator's broken down



So I walk one, two flight, three flight four

Five, six, seven flight, eight flight more

Up on the twelfth I'm starting to sag

Fifteenth floor I'm ready to drag

Get to the top, I'm too tired to rock



Well she called me up on the telephone

Said "come on over, baby, I'm all alone"

I said "baby, you're mighty sweet

But I'm in bed with the achin' feet"

This went on for a couple of days

But I could not stay away



So I walk one, two flight, three flight four

Five, six, seven flight, eight flight more

Up on the twelfth I'm starting to sag

Fifteenth floor I'm ready to drag

Get to the top, I'm too tired to rock



Yeah, we sent to Chicago for repairs

Till it's a-fixed I'm using the stairs

I love you, baby, wanna see your face

I love you baby, too much to wait

All this climbing is gettin me down

They'll find my cold feet over the rail



So I walk one, two flight, three flight four

five, six, seven flight, eight flight more

Up on the twelfth I'm starting to sag

Fifteenth floor I'm ready to drag

Get to the top, I'm too tired to rock

中國石油的母公司中國石油天然氣集團公司(CNPC)
CNPC Got Cold Feet Over Hot Oil Prospect

International oil companies are finding it harder to bring more production on stream, as the majority of the world's reserves are either controlled by the national oil companies of the Middle East or extremely expensive to develop.


grime



Your sofa is stained, dingy, and saggy in the middle.
「あなたのソファは染みがついて薄汚くて、真ん中がへこんでるわ。」
*stained :染みがついた
*dingy :黒ずんだ、薄汚い
*saggy :(時間が経って固さが無くなり)くぼんだ、たるんだ、垂下した

dingy 
adjective
dark and often also dirty:
a dingy room/corridor
Her hair was a dingy brown colour.

sag
verb [I] -gg-
1 to drop down to a lower level in the middle:
The shelf sagged under the weight of the heavy books.
a sagging roof/floor/bed

2 to become weaker:
The dollar held up well this morning but the pound sagged.

sag
noun
1 [S or U] where something has dropped down to a lower level:
a sag in the roof

2 [C usually singular] a reduction in something:
a sag in sales


saggy adj
adj. - 鬆懈的, 下垂的

日本語 (Japanese)
adj. - 垂下した, たるんだ




get cold feet

to suddenly become too frightened to do something you had planned to do, especially something important such as getting married
Loss of nerve or confidence:after arranging to meet I got cold feet and phoned her saying I was busy
cold feet 意思是"死去"
cold feet

pl.n. Slang.
Fearfulness or timidity preventing the completion of a course of action.

on stream UK
Something in industry or business that is on stream is being produced or is available for use:
The company's increased sales were primarily a result of new stores coming on stream.



highbrow 
adjective MAINLY DISAPPROVING
(of books, plays, etc.) involving serious and complicated or artistic ideas, or (of people) interested in serious and complicated subjects
Compare lowbrow; middlebrow.middlebrow 
adjective MAINLY DISAPPROVING
describes music, literature, art or film which is of good quality, interesting and often popular, but can be understood quite easilyhighbrow
noun [C] MAINLY DISAPPROVINGlowbrow
adjective MAINLY DISAPPROVING
(of entertainment) not complicated or demanding much intelligence to be understood:
He regards the sort of books I read as very lowbrow.
I like a lowbrow action movie once in a while.

沒有留言: