2023年12月4日 星期一

extemporaneously. lexicographical version of a reality show.

 Usually, Oxford’s lexicographers assemble a shortlist of words or expressions that saw a statistically relevant surge, and then choose a winner. But in recent years, Oxford has turned the selection process into the lexicographical version of a reality show.

Freeman Dyson 照稿唸完這一次演講:
《科技與社會正義》
2003年在Portland Oregon 
Dyson在這一場演講樣的開場白:
excuse me for reading the talk , I don't want to dribble on and on as I would if I tried to do it extemporaneously . it's all right to talk
extemporaneously if you really know the subject but not otherwise⋯⋯
請原諒我以唸稿的方式進行這個演講,因為我不想落入即興、信手拈來又跳躍式的演講,如果你對某個題目非常的了解,當然你可以做即興式的演講,但我沒有這樣的把握⋯⋯
在Q&A 被問到不想回答的政治問題,這樣回應: . I don't think we'll get any further by arguing about it so I think I'd rather let it pass in silence.



extemporaneous
/ɪkˌstɛmpəˈreɪnɪəs,ɛkˌstɛmpəˈreɪnɪəs/
adjective
  1. spoken or done without preparation.
    "an extemporaneous speech"


沒有留言: