Apparel company VF, whose brands include North Face and Nautica, agreed to buy Timberland for about $2 billion, looking to boost its outdoor and action-sports businesses.An extreme sport (also called action sport and adventure sport) is a popular term for certain activities perceived as having a high level of inherent danger, and that are counter-cultural.
By DEXTER FILKINS
After allied troops clear Marja of insurgents, the test will be to keep it clear.
━━ a., n. 不快な, いやな; 無礼な; しゃくにさわる; 攻撃的な［用の］; 攻勢の; （普通the 〜） 攻撃, 攻勢.
be on the offensive 攻撃中である; 攻撃的［けんか好き］である.
take the offensive 攻勢に出る.
- Disagreeable to the senses: an offensive odor.
- Causing anger, displeasure, resentment, or affront: an offensive gesture.
- Making an attack: The offensive troops gained ground quickly.
- Of, relating to, or designed for attack: offensive weapons.
- (ŏf'ĕn-) Sports. Of or relating to a team having possession of a ball or puck: the offensive line.
- An attitude or position of attack: go on the offensive in chess.
- An attack or assault: led a massive military offensive.
offensiveness of·fen'sive·ness n.
SYNONYMS offensive, disgusting, loathsome, nasty, repellent, repulsive, revolting, vile. These adjectives mean extremely unpleasant to the senses or feelings: an offensive remark; disgusting language; a loathsome disease; a nasty smell; a repellent demand; repulsive behavior; revolting food; vile thoughts. See also synonyms at hateful.