2019年12月20日 星期五

cherry-pick, an impassable divide

How a Trump Trade Pact Won Over Democrats

By EMILY COCHRANE, ANA SWANSON and JIM TANKERSLEY
Over nearly a year of tumultuous negotiations, congressional Democrats and the Trump administration bridged what seemed to be an impassable divide.


內容簡介https://elt.rti.org.tw/authentic-real-english/cherry-pick-%E6%93%87%E5%84%AA%E6%8C%91%E9%81%B8/

Rob 說他不舒服,所以只想從節目稿裡挑幾句好的台詞隨便讀一下,省省他的嗓子。菲菲說他的這種行為是 「cherry-pick 挑揀櫻桃」。聽他們的對話,學習 「cherry-pick」 的實際意思和用法。

文字稿

(關於台詞的備註: 請注意這不是廣播節目的逐字稿件。本文稿可能沒有體現錄製、編輯過程中對節目做出的改變。)
Feifei大家好!歡迎來到 BBC英語教學的 「地道英語」 節目。我是馮菲菲。
Rob…and hello, I’m Rob.
Feifei你怎麼端了一盆水果來了?
RobWell, I’m not feeling great – and you know fruit is packed with vitamin C, so I thought eating some would do me good.
FeifeiHmm, I see. Well, I’m sorry you’re not feeling great, but we have got a programme to do and an English phrase to teach.
RobIf you don’t mind, I might just read a few lines from this script – you know, to save my voice. Perhaps I could just read the funny lines?
FeifeiRob 聲稱自己不舒服,所以只想讀這集節目稿子中最好的幾句台詞。You can’t just cherry-pick what you want to say.
RobCherry-pick? There aren’t any cherries in my fruit bowl – so I won’t be picking any.
FeifeiI wasn’t referring to your fruit. 「Cherry-pick 挑揀櫻桃」 這個詞組的實際意思是在一組事物或人當中 「擇優挑選,撿最好的挑」。But Rob, you’re not going to do that, are you?
RobErrr… shall we hear some examples of other cherry pickers?
ExamplesJosh says he cherry-picked the players for his football team based on their skills – but I know it’s because they were his friends!
We need to cherry-pick the best food for our new restaurant – we really want to impress our customers.
It seems unfair that our school has cherry-picked the best students to attend the conference – we should all have a chance to go.
Feifei你正在收聽的是 BBC英語教學的 「地道英語」 節目。在這集節目中,我們教給大家詞組 「cherry-pick」 的意思和用法。動詞 「cherry-pick」 描述人們在一組事物或人當中挑選出最好的、最值得擁有的那一個。Rob 剛才就 「cherry-pick」,挑揀出他認為最好的幾句台詞來讀。It’s a bit unfair, Rob.
RobI was just trying to save my voice but I’ll do my best. Would you like a piece of fruit from the bowl, Feifei?
Feifei
Oh, OK, then. Umm, that banana is a bit mouldy… that orange is a bit yellow…I’ll have this apple, please.
RobHmm, looks like you’re cherry-picking the best piece of fruit. Right, well, now that you’ve got my delicious apple, do you mind if I go now?  I’m really not feeling great.
FeifeiOh, go on, Rob. But next time, I’m going to cherry-pick who I present with – someone who wants a bite of the cherry to work with me. I need someone with a bit more… stamina. See ya.
RobBye.

cherry-pick,精挑細選。美國外國情報監控法庭週二對FBI發起指控 ,稱其在涉俄調查中,就監聽特朗普前競選顧問Carter Page申請許可時,精心挑選了相關證據。 Cherry-pick一詞字面意思為摘櫻桃,後引申為特意挑選(最佳的、最有利的),一般含有貶義。

cherry-pick
UK 
 /ˈtʃer.iˌpɪk/ US 
 
/ˈtʃer.iˌpɪk/

to pick only the best people or things from a group, so that only people or things that are less good remain
挑選(最佳的一個),挑選(最有利的一個)
The new schools were accused of cherry-picking the best students in the area.

沒有留言: