After Calling Nafta 'Worst Trade Deal,' Trump Appears to Soften Stance
By JULIE HIRSCHFELD DAVIS and ALAN RAPPEPORT
The White House will propose keeping major planks of Nafta in place, while signing orders that lay the groundwork for stricter enforcement of trade laws.
THE autumn of 2008 marks the end of an era. After a generation of standing ever further back from the business of finance, governments have been forced to step in to rescue banking systems and the markets. In America, the bulwark of free enterprise, and in Britain, the pioneer of privatisation, financial firms have had to accept rescue and part-ownership by the state. As well as partial nationalisation, the price will doubtless be stricter regulation of the financial industry. To invert Karl Marx, investment bankers may have nothing to gain but their chains.
Karl Marx's "10 Planks" From His Communist Manifesto
Abolition of Property in Land and Application of all Rents of Land to Public Purpose.
- Abolition of Property in Land and Application of all Rents of Land to Public Purpose
- A Heavy Progressive or Graduated Income Tax.
- Abolition of All Rights of Inheritance.
- Confiscation of the Property of All Emigrants and Rebels.
- Centralization of Credit in the Hands of the State, by Means of a National Bank with State Capital and an Exclusive Monopoly.
- Centralization of the Means of Communication and Transport in the Hands of the State.
- Extension of Factories and Instruments of Production Owned by the State, the Bringing Into Cultivation of Waste Lands, and the Improvement of the Soil Generally in Accordance with a Common Plan.
- Equal Liability of All to Labor. Establishment of Industrial Armies, Especially for Agriculture.
- Combination of Agriculture with Manufacturing Industries; Gradual Abolition of the Distinction Between Town and Country by a More Equable Distribution of the Population over the Country.
- Free Education for All Children in Public Schools. Abolition of Children's Factory Labor in it's Present Form. Combination of Education with Industrial Production.
walk the plank 舷側から突き出た板を目隠して歩かされる ((海賊の死刑)); 否応なしに職をやめさせられる.
━━ vt. 板を張る; 〔話〕 どさっと下に置く ((down)); 〔話〕 すぐ支払う ((down, out)); 〔米〕 板の上で調理して出す.
plank bed （刑務所などの）板ベッド.
plank・ing ━━ n. 板張り; 床張り（すること）; ((集合的)) 厚板.