2019年3月7日 星期四

sepulcher, chamber, crypt, catacomb, mausoleum, sarcophagus,

Christ in the Sepulchre, 1488



Edgar Allan Poe's poem "Annabel Lee" (1849) gave Vladimir Nabokov the working title of "Kingdom by the Sea" for the story that eventually became LOLITA.
Poe's final stanza:
"For the moon never beams, without bringing me dreams
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee;
And the stars never rise, but I feel the bright eyes
Of the beautiful Annabel Lee: -
And so, all the night-tide, I lie down by the side
Of my darling - my darling - my life and my bride,
In her sepulcher there by the sea -
In her tomb by the sounding sea."



sepulchre
ˈsɛp(ə)lkə/
noun
noun: sepulcher
  1. 1.
    a small room or monument, cut in rock or built of stone, in which a dead person is laid or buried.
    synonyms:tombvault, burial place, burial chamber, cryptcatacombmausoleumsarcophaguspyramidMore
verb
literary
verb: sepulcher
  1. 1.
    lay or bury in or as if in a sepulchre.

    "tomes are soon out of print and sepulchred in the dust of libraries"

沒有留言: