2019年3月19日 星期二

gallery, vestibule and passageway,larynx, laryngologist, laryngeal, pharynx, fauces, anteroom



I Visited the Prado 200 Times. Here’s What I Missed.

On the year of the Madrid museum’s bicentennial, our writer visited every gallery, vestibule and passageway to see if he had missed anything on his previous visits. He had.









Down the Hatch and Straight Into Medical History

By AMANDA SCHAFFER
Dr. Chevalier Jackson, a laryngologist who worked in the late 19th and early 20th centuries, preserved more than 2,000 objects that people had swallowed or inhaled.



LARYNX
by Pablo Neruda (1904-1973) 

Now this is it, said Death,
and as far as I could see
Death was looking at me, at me.
This all happened in hospital,
in washed out corridors,
and the doctor peered at me
with periscopic eyes.
He stuck his head in my mouth,
scratched away at my larynx –
perhaps a small seed
of death was stuck there.
At first, I turned into smoke
so that the cindery one
would pass and not recognize me.
I played the fool, I grew thin,
pretended to be simple or transparent –
I wanted to be a cyclist
to pedal out of death’s range.
The rage came over me
and I said, “Death, you bastard,
must you always keep butting in?
Haven’t you enough with all those bones?
I’ll tell you exactly what I think:
you have no discrimination, you’re deaf
and stupid beyond belief.
“Why are you following me?
What do you want with my skeleton?
Why don’t you take the miserable one,
the cataleptic, the smart one,
the bitter, the unfaithful, the ruthless,
the murderer, the adulterers,
the two-faced judge,
the deceiving journalist,
tyrants from islands,
those who set fire to mountains,
the chiefs of police,
jailers and burglars?
Why do you have to take me?
What business have I with Heaven?
Hell doesn’t suit me –
I feel fine on the earth.”
With such internal mutterings
I kept myself going
while the restless doctor
went tramping through my lungs,
from bronchea to bronchea
like a bird from branch to branch.
I couldn’t feel my throat;
my mouth was open like the jaws of a suit of armor,
and the doctor ran up and down
my larynx on his bicycle,
till, serious and certain,
he looked at me through his telescope
and pried me loose from death.
It wasn’t what they had thought.
It wasn’t my turn.
If I tell you I suffered a lot,
and really loved the mystery,
that Our Lord and Our Lady
were waiting for me in their oasis,
if I talk of enchantment,
and being eaten up by distress
at not being close to dying,
if I say like a stupid chicken
that I die not by dying,
give me a boot in the butt
fit punishment for a liar.

Translated by Alastair Reid


larynx


 
音節
lar • ynx
発音
lǽriŋks
[名](複la・ryn・ges 〔lríndiz〕, 〜・es)《解剖学》喉頭(こうとう);《動物》発声器官(((略式))voice box). http://hcbooks.blogspot.tw/2011/06/pablo-neruda.html

laryngeal, -gal[la・ryn・ge・al, -gal]

  • 発音記号[ləríndʒiəl, -ríŋgəl]
[形]
1 喉頭(こうとう)の[にある].
2 喉頭音の.
━━[名]喉頭音.

laryngologist
(lăr'ən-gŏl'ə-jē) pronunciation
n.
The branch of medicine that studies and treats the larynx, pharynx, and fauces.

laryngologist lar'yn·gol'o·gist n.

pharynx
  • [fǽriŋks]
[名](複phar・yn・ges 〔fríndiz〕, 〜・es)《解剖学》咽頭(いんとう).





anteroom (noun) A large entrance or reception room or area.
Synonyms:foyer, lobby, vestibule, hall
Usage:The butler had me wait in the anteroom while he went to get the master of the house.
Pronunciation: /ˈantiruːm/

Definition of anteroom

noun

  • an antechamber, typically serving as a waiting room.
  • Military a large room in an officers' mess, typically adjacent to the dining room.
     
    ひかえしつ【控え室】
    〔次の間〕an anteroom; 〔待合室〕a waiting room
     

vestibule[ves・ti・bule]

  • 発音記号[véstəbjùːl]
[名]前廳
1 ((形式))(建物・家の)入口の間, 玄関.
2 ((米))《鉄道》(客車の)連廊, デッキ.
3 《解剖学・動物学》前庭, 前室
the vestibule of the inner ear
内耳前庭.
ves・tib・u・lar〔vestíbjulr〕
[形]前庭の.

fauces
[名](複 〜)
1 《解剖学》口峡:口腔の奥の空間.
2 (古代ローマで)玄関(vestibule).

Head and neck. Illu pharynx.jpg Pharynx
Read more: http://www.answers.com/topic/pharynx#ixzz1B6kYeL6s

沒有留言: