2008年8月4日 星期一

first among equals, patriarch, get out (BECOME KNOWN)

In the end, however, rupture was avoided. A basis was also laid for better relations in future, thanks to careful diplomacy by Bartholomew I, the Patriarch of Constantinople, who is by tradition the “first among equals” in the Orthodox hierarchy.


Quote
"I'd hate this to get out, but I really like opera." — Ford Frick

get out (BECOME KNOWN) phrasal verb
If news or information gets out, people hear about it although someone is trying to keep it secret:
I don't want it to get out that I'm leaving before I've had a chance to tell Anthony.

patriarch 
noun [C]
a bishop in particular Eastern Christian churches

patriarch:(1)聖祖;(舊約中的)族長:如亞巴郎、依撒格、雅各伯等。(2)宗主教;教長;創始者:第四、五世紀時變為教會的頭銜,享有宗主 教尊稱的有:羅馬、君士坦丁(堡)、亞歷山大、耶路撒冷、安底約基雅等五城之主教。東方教會法規定,教宗授權賦予宗主教特殊治理權。

first among equals UK
a member of a group who is officially on the same level as the other members but who in fact has slightly more responsibility or power:
The British Prime Minister is first among equals in the Cabinet.

沒有留言: