2023年12月3日 星期日

traffic warden, traffic, congestion charge, Congestion Pricing



London congestion charge: fee for motorists driving into Central London went into effect; the price is £8 per day (2003)

U.S. Web Sites Target Sales Abroad
As U.S. Web sites realize that a huge share of their traffic comes from overseas, but still struggle to make money from it, Internet companies are scrambling to try to cash in on foreign markets they have largely ignored.


traffic 除陸海空之交通 還可指"網路流量"等
比較
traffic (TRADE)

traffic (VEHICLES) Show phonetics

noun [U]
1 the amount of vehicles moving along roads, or the amount of aircraft, trains or ships moving along a route:
There was heavy/a lot of traffic on the roads this morning.
We got stuck in traffic for several hours.
New measures have been introduced to try and ease traffic congestion in the city.
Five people were injured in a traffic accident (= one involving vehicles).
Air traffic has increased 30% in the last decade.

2 people or goods transported by road, air, train or ship, as a business:
The airline halved its overseas service because of a sharp reduction in traffic.
Environmental groups want more passenger and freight traffic moved off the roads and onto trains.



William Golding ( 1911-1993;1983年諾貝爾文學獎) 1967作品 THE PYRAMID 引用(《金字塔》(李國慶譯,上海譯文,2000,p.15)),不過注不詳盡。

我從這小說的題詞:「治民之道,以愛為本;心有愛則生,無愛則死。」(古埃及箴言)學到哲理。

想起上周聽他諾貝爾文學獎受講演說詞最後的一可愛(可….)英國警察之故事:

The very day after I learned that I was the laureate for literature for 1983 I drove into a country town and parked my car where I should not. I only left the car for a few minutes but when I came back there was a ticket taped to the window. A traffic warden, a lady of a minatory aspect, stood by the car. She pointed to a notice on the wall. "Can't you read?" she said. Sheepishly I got into my car and drove very slowly round the corner. There on the pavement I saw two county policemen.

I stopped opposite them and took my parking ticket out of its plastic envelope. They crossed to me. I asked if, as I had pressing business, I could go straight to the Town Hall and pay my fine on the spot. "No, sir," said the senior policeman, "I'm afraid.....




traffic warden
noun [C] UK 〔英〕 交通巡視員 ((主に路上駐車の取り締まり)).
someone whose job is to make certain that people do not leave their cars in illegal places:
A traffic warden gave me a ticket for parking on a double yellow line.

要進一步了解 traffic warden

可造訪bbc網站搜索

大约一周前,我做了一件令我深感愧疚、同时也略感自豪的事 ——我打了一个交通协勤员。说得更确切一点,是推了他一下。不过让我沮丧的是,这一下导致他的相机脱手而出、掉到了地上。幸运的是,相机并没有损坏。与此 同时,尽管我一再道歉,这位协勤员还是打电话报了警。不过,让我火冒三丈的不是他在我的停车票时间要到了的当口儿写罚单(我这两张单子一张是12:45, 另一张是12:47),而是他的傲慢。当我彬彬有礼地指出,另一位协勤员曾告诉过我,每个人在被罚款之前都可以宽限三分钟,他却只是答道:“写信跟议会说 去。”他把这句令人生气的套话重复了好几次,于是我就打了他。现在,我要么等着接收警察局棕色信封的传唤通知,要么等着警察来敲门……


congested Show phonetics
adjective
1 too blocked or crowded and causing difficulties

2 describes roads and towns where there is too much traffic and movement is made difficult

3 describes someone who cannot breathe through their nose because it is blocked, usually during an infection

4 describes lungs or other body parts that have become too full of blood or other liquid

congestion Show phonetics
noun [U]
The (traffic) congestion in the city gets even worse during the summer.
This spray helps to ease nasal congestion.


沒有留言: