2018年2月14日 星期三

for a cut. pad the bottom line

How Much Is Your Privacy Worth? A Lot, if You’ve Won $560 Million
How Much Is Your Privacy Worth? A Lot, if You’ve Won $560 Million
By KATHARINE Q. SEELYE
As a court considers whether to let the winner of a huge lottery jackpot remain anonymous, people are offering to change their names to help her claim her prize — for a cut.

Big Profits Drove a Stock Boom. Did the Economy Pay a Price?

ECONOMIC SCENE

Big Profits Drove a Stock Boom. Did the Economy Pay a Price?
By EDUARDO PORTER
Companies free of competitive pressures, with the power to set prices largely at will, pad the bottom line at the expense of customers and workers.
pad

3North American Defraud by adding false items to (an expenses claim or bill)
‘padded expenses for government work reaped billions of dollars for the Mafia’
  • ‘For 10 years I climbed up the corporate ladder and filled my house with treasures and padded my bank accounts.’
  • ‘The city claims that Carvin showed poor judgment and overstepped his authority in raising issues of attorney bill padding.’
  • ‘The goal is to quickly pad the traveler's frequent-flier accounts with lots of miles - but for not a lot of cash.’
  • ‘I'm sure there are some legitimate ones, but my Japanese friends tell me most are ripoffs, padding the bill with all kinds of special services that aren't that special.’
  • ‘Doing the job herself allowed her to pad out her expenses claim with fictitious expert help.’
  • ‘He also alleged widespread professional mischief, including padding bills and keeping animals for ransom.’
  • ‘To hide the bills from her family, she embezzled US $241,061 from the company over three years by padding her expense account, authorities said.’
  • ‘In addition to padding his expense accounts, he is guilty of slanting and exaggerating some of his glibly written articles.’
  • ‘But don't add customers just for the sake of padding the client list and the sales figures - as numerous models demonstrate, cash flow is king.’

cut.

informal in singular A share of the profits from something.
‘the directors are demanding their cut’
  • ‘Every time Maxwell closed a deal he got a cut, and this book traces the money trail better than any previous efforts.’
  • ‘He controlled the cops and didn't mind violating the 18th Amendment as long as he got his cut.’
  • ‘He wants Jenny to babysit the fugitives in return for a cut of the book's proceeds.’
  • ‘Each site that sells a track or an album will receive a cut of the profits from the transaction.’
  • ‘Did I mention that I am not only a middleman, but I am taking a cut for doing absolutely nothing.’
  • ‘Work the angle, play your part in the con, get your cut and then get out.’
  • ‘The stars also get a cut of the profits from the show being re-sold and from the sale of videos and DVDs.’
  • ‘Yet there is a good chance that if you go to a concert this year, Aiken will be getting a cut of the profits.’
  • ‘Meanwhile, back in reality, I deserve a cut of the firm's profits for the forthcoming financial year.’
  • ‘We could all do with a few quid, so if we do get any money, my cut will come my way.’
  • ‘I am just waiting for my cut, I do have a family at home to feed.’
  • ‘I will agree that it is good business practice to give employees a cut of profits.’
  • ‘He wants me to sell his designs and, in turn, I'll get a cut of the profits, as well as a basic minimum wage.’
  • ‘More likely they'd drive me to the recycling center to cash in my cans, and then demand a cut of the profit.’
  • ‘We get a cut on any books that you buy, of course.’
  • ‘Muley says the owners are not making money and need the tenants' cut of the profits.’
  • ‘Lastly, please remember to allocate me a cut of the profits when you claim the Nobel Prize for Literature.’
  • ‘When Kev and Mike come bearing gifts, they want to flog them down their local, promising the barmaid a cut of the profits.’
  • ‘I just wonder if Stewart was serious about plans for his cut of the race purse.’
  • ‘She has made a deal to let two greasy thugs grow pot on their farmland in exchange for a cut of the profits.’
share, portion, bit, quota, percentage

沒有留言: