2015年9月7日 星期一

hard-won, The Hippocratic Oath



The seeds of that notion were planted during the newly prosperous postwar years. Happiness then was not some hard-won spiritual attainment. 




NEW YORK (Fortune) -- As Rupert Murdoch claims his hard-won prize The Wall Street Journal, his News Corporation conglomerate is planning an unprecedented newspaper advertising campaign that at least two newspapers that usually have little in common - the Financial Times and the China Daily - have so far declined to run.





In 1939 Europe faced a refugee crisis as Jewish people sought sanctuary from Nazi Germany. People from across the UK opened their homes to thousands of vulnerable children.

"There are all sorts of statistics about how refugees do better in school, are more productive, create more jobs than the average person. That’s hardly surprising, from people capable of such desperate journeys. What I know, as a refugee’s son, is that they do not tend to take citizenship and education lightly, but as hard-won treasures. The politicians who claim our prosperity is under threat from having to be shared with refugees have forgotten it was refugees who helped build that prosperity in the first place."

The Hippocratic Oath: Modern Version


I swear to fulfill, to the best of my ability and judgment, this covenant:
I will respect the hard-won scientific gains of those physicians in whose steps I walk, and gladly share such knowledge as is mine with those who are to follow.
I will apply, for the benefit of the sick, all measures [that] are required, avoiding those twin traps of overtreatment and therapeutic nihilism.
I will remember that there is art to medicine as well as science, and that warmth, sympathy, and understanding may outweigh the surgeon's knife or the chemist's drug.
I will not be ashamed to say "I know not," nor will I fail to call in my colleagues when the skills of another are needed for a patient's recovery.
I will respect the privacy of my patients, for their problems are not disclosed to me that the world may know. Most especially must I tread with care in matters of life and death. If it is given me to save a life, all thanks. But it may also be within my power to take a life; this awesome responsibility must be faced with great humbleness and awareness of my own frailty. Above all, I must not play at God.
I will remember that I do not treat a fever chart, a cancerous growth, but a sick human being, whose illness may affect the person's family and economic stability. My responsibility includes these related problems, if I am to care adequately for the sick.
I will prevent disease whenever I can, for prevention is preferable to cure.
I will remember that I remain a member of society, with special obligations to all my fellow human beings, those sound of mind and body as well as the infirm.
If I do not violate this oath, may I enjoy life and art, respected while I live and remembered with affection thereafter. May I always act so as to preserve the finest traditions of my calling and may I long experience the joy of healing those who seek my help.
醫神阿波羅阿斯克勒庇俄斯,及天地諸神為證,鄙人敬謹宣誓:
余願以自身能以判斷力所及,遵守此約。凡授余藝者敬之如父母,為終身同世伴侶,彼有急需,余接濟之。視彼兒女,猶余弟兄,如欲受業,當免費並無條件傳授之。凡余之所知,無論口授書傳俱傳之吾子、吾師之子、及發誓遵守此約之生徒,此外不傳他人。
余願盡余之能力與判斷力之所及,遵守為病家謀福之信條,並檢束一切墮落及害人之敗行,余必不得將危害藥品給與他人,並不作此項之指導,雖人請求亦必不與之,尤不為婦人施墮胎之術。余願以此純潔與神聖之精神,終身執行余之職務。凡患結石者,余不施手術,此則有待于高明。
無論何適何遇,逢男或女,貴人奴婢,余之唯一目的,為病家謀幸福,並檢點吾身,不為各種害人及劣行,尤不做誘姦之事。凡余之所見所聞,不論有無業務 之牽連,余以為應守秘密者,願保守秘密。倘余嚴守上述之誓詞,願神僅僅使余之生命及醫術,得無上之光榮;余苟違誓,天地鬼神共殛之!

希波克拉底斯(Hippocrates)醫師誓詞

  1. 我鄭重地保證自己要奉獻一切為人類服務。
  2. 我將要給我的師長應有的崇敬及感戴;
  3. 我將要憑我的良心和尊嚴從事醫業;
  4. 病人的健康應為我的首要的顧念;
  5. 我將要尊重所寄託給我的秘密;
  6. 我將要盡我的力量維護醫業的榮譽和高尚的傳統;
  7. 我的同業應視為我的手足;
  8. 我將不容許有任何宗教,國籍,種族,政見或地位的考慮介於我的職責和病人間;
  9. 我將要盡可能地維護人的生命,自從受胎時起;
  10. 即使在威脅之下,我將不運用我的醫學知識去違反人道。
  11. 我鄭重地,自主地並且以我的人格宣誓以上的約定。-----------日內瓦宣言
(世界醫學協會一九四八年日內瓦大會採用)
Wikipedia article "Hippocratic Oath".


 If something is hard-won, it was only ​achieved after a lot of ​effort:a hard-won ​battle

沒有留言: