2021年2月4日 星期四

schnook, tired of giving in


A new era in the American quest for equality started in 1955, in Alabama, USA, when Rosa Parks - born #OnThisDay - refused to give up her seat in the "colored section" to a white passenger, after the whites-only section was filled.
“People always say that I didn't give up my seat because I was tired, but that isn't true. I was not tired physically, or no more tired than I usually was at the end of a working day. I was not old, although some people have an image of me as being old then. I was forty-two. No, the only tired I was, was tired of giving in.”
From her autobiography, 'My Story'.
Photo: Rosa Parks and Nobel Laureate Martin Luther King Jr., 1955.
可能是 1 人和站立的黑白圖像



"Who’s the schnook that got the prize this time?’
On 8 October 2008, scientist Martin Chalfie woke up at 6:10 am after a good night's sleep. He was excited to see who had received the 2008 Chemistry Prize.
“I realised that they must have given the Prize in Chemistry, so I simply said, ‘Okay, who’s the schnook that got the prize this time?’ And so I opened up my laptop, and I got to the Nobel Prize site and I found out I was the schnook!”


give in

— phrasal verb with give 

(AGREE)

B1
to finally agree to what someone wants, after refusing for a period of time:
He nagged me so much for a new bike that eventually I gave in.
The government cannot be seen as giving in to terroristsdemands.
屈伏く
give in

屈服く
give in

schnook - Urban Dictionary
www.urbandictionary.com › define

Back. Loading... Top definition. schnook. NOUN: Slang A stupid or easily victimized person; a dupe. ETYMOLOGY: Yiddish shnuk, snout, schnook, from Lithuanian snukis, mug, snout. "im just a regular Schnook" GOODFELLAS. by James ...

沒有留言: