2010年10月31日 星期日

lepidopterist, lepidopterist's ditty

Lep・i・dop・ter・a


  • 〔lèpdptr | -dp-〕

[名]《昆虫》鱗翅(りんし)目.
lèp・i・dóp・ter・an
[形][名]鱗翅目の(昆虫).
lèp・i・dóp・ter・ous
[形]
lèp・i・dóp・ter・ist
[名]鱗翅学者.

What are your working methods?

Quite banal. Thirty years ago I used to write in bed,
dipping my pen into a bedside inkwell, or else I would compose
mentally at any time of the day or night. I would fall asleep
when the sparrows woke up. Nowadays I write my stuff on index
cards, in pencil, at a lectern, in the forenoon; but I still
tend to do a lot of work in my head during long walks in the
country on dull days when butterflies do not interfere. Here is
a disappointed lepidopterist's ditty:


It's a long climb
Up the rock face
At the wrong time
To the right place.




ditty
n., pl., -ties.
A simple song.

[Middle English dite, a literary composition, from Old French dite, from Latin dictātum, thing dictated, from neuter past participle of dictāre, to dictate.]

沒有留言: