It’s 9.5 feet wide and 42 feet long （2.9 meters wide by 12.8 meters long） and is billed as the narrowest house in New York City. But there’s nothing small about its asking price： $2.7 million.
The price at which an item is offered for sale.
presell, to ready
Sony Readies Gadgets to Rival Apple
-Mobile has already pre-sold 1.5 million Google G1!
TechWhack (press release) - New Delhi,Delhi,IndiaGoogle has a brand that can now sell mobile phones even before they are available in the market! T-Mobile USA has stated that they have already pre-sold ...
tr.v., -sold (-sōld'), -sell·ing, -sells.
- To sell (a house, for example) in advance of construction.
- To promote (a product not yet on the market) by means of advertising.
- To condition (a potential customer) in advance for later purchase of a product.
adj., -i·er, -i·est.
- Prepared or available for service, action, or progress: I am ready to work. The soup will be ready in a minute. The pupils are ready to learn to read.
- Mentally disposed; willing: He was ready to believe her.
- Likely or about to do something: She is ready to retire.
- Prompt in apprehending or reacting: a ready intelligence; a ready response.
- Available: ready money.
To cause to be ready.
at the ready
- Available for immediate use: soldiers with machine guns at the ready; students with notebooks at the ready.
- To make preparations.
Mega-church pastor Rick Warren, who was mentored by Peter Drucker, was helpful in this regard, as he got all of the churches across the globe on board for ...
A megachurch is a church having around 2,000 or more attendants for a typical weekly service. The Hartford Institute's database lists more than 1,300 such Protestant churches in the United States. According to these data, about 50 churches on the list have attendance ranging from 10,000 to 47,000. Additionally, while some 3,000 individual Roman Catholic parishes (churches) have 2,000 or more attendants for a typical weekly service, these churches are not seen as part of the megachurch movement.
A Looking Glass Steer
Published: August 26, 2010
Both winning animals were owned by the Haber family, from Sioux Center, Iowa, which runs a livestock reproduction company and is partners with an agriculture cloning firm. So far, there is no rule against showing cloned animals in 4-H competitions.
Just to complete the strange circuitousness in this story, Doc was purchased back at auction by his breeders in order to keep him from merging with the general beef supply after slaughter. That is in accordance with a voluntary moratorium on cloned meat requested by the Department of Agriculture.
A .223-caliber, gas-operated, clip-fed assault rifle, first used by U.S. troops during the Vietnam War.
There are plenty of reasons to think that this boom can't be sustained without a matching lift in consumer spending, but still, people are working through the night in Manhattan, their hands trembling as they tweak their final calculations over an 11th can of Red Bull.
What's behind it? Companies chasing synergies, or locking in natural resources, or using up spare cash, Mr. Sorkin writes. But more importantly: how long can it last?
Go to Column from The New York Times»
Los Angeles Times (blog)
But their birth Sunday at a private Taiwanese zoo was met with controversy that could result in a possible fine. The Taiwan News is reporting that a local ...
Just Hanging Out Under the Bridge, in Summer’s Heat
But first, a warning: On the way to understanding how your life will get better, you’ll have to read about some technical, fairly arcane topics. Trust me: it’ll be worth it.
In this case, the topic is your Web browsing, and the magic wand is a free service called OpenDNS.
Behind the scenes, the actual address is a string of numbers (called an I.P. address, for Internet protocol) that looks something like this: 188.8.131.52. (That happens to beGoogle’s address.)
Nobody can remember those addresses, though they are no longer than a phone number, so the Web’s thoughtful designers came up with a secondary system: plain-English addresses like www.whatever.com. When you type that into your browser, a computer at your Internet provider performs a quick lookup. “Aha,” it says to itself in its little digital way, “you just typed www.google.com. What you really want, of course, is 184.108.40.206. Please hold; I’ll connect you.”
That, in a nutshell, is how D.N.S. works. (It stands for domain name system, in case that helps.)
By JENNIFER A. KINGSON
Among people of means, expensive aquariums are the latest status symbol. Above, a 700-gallon tank suspended from the ceiling of a West Village town house apartment.
1. Understand, as in Aunt Mary doesn't catch on to any jokes. The verb to catch alone was used with this meaning from Shakespeare's time, on being added in the late 1800s. Also see get it, def. 2.
2. Become popular, as in This new dance is really beginning to catch on. [Late 1800s]
Chinese women have found a way to enjoy the fruits of the sexual revolution while eventually pleasing the "deeply conservative" men who want to marry them.
n. Greek Mythology
The god of marriage.
曾想過要第二次機會在你第一次？這是一個機會，這是提供給越來越多的中國婦女，20來歲的婦女聚集到外科醫生辦公室的“處女膜修復”。該過程通常與穆斯林國家（它的通常是非法的），但華盛頓郵報報導說，這是越來越受歡迎的中國，在幾十年的經濟增長還不足以根除“一個極為保守，男性沙文主義的態度。”婦女與性別實驗在年輕的年齡，但男子繼續想娶處女（“如果你去購買手機，當然你想購買一台新手機。”）的解決方案是不節制，但一婦科醫生所謂的“善意的謊言。” “我們可以解決這個問題，所以一切是完美的，”醫生高興地說。她的病人大多數（她看到每個大約 20個月）是年輕婦女誰是即將結婚。他們掏出七百三十七美元為半小時的程序，和她們的丈夫也不會是明智的。但還有一個更便宜的道路走向“revirgination，”可供出售的所有中國振動器是：一個“人造處女膜，當插入，看來是創建一個栩栩如生的感覺該男子，並發出假血時破裂。”
- Of, relating to, characteristic of, or originating in a specified place: Vietnamese.
- Native or inhabitant of: Taiwanese.
- Language or dialect of: Chinese.
- Literary style or diction of: journalese.
[Middle English, from Italian, from Latin -ēnsis, originating in.]
- Ill-tempered and quarrelsome; disagreeable: disliked her cantankerous landlord.
- Difficult to handle: "had to use liquid helium, which is supercold, costly and cantankerous" (Boston Globe).
- To growl viciously while baring the teeth.
- To speak angrily or threateningly.
To utter with anger or hostility: snarled a retort.
- A vicious growl.
- A vicious, hostile utterance.
snarlingly snarl'ing·ly adv.
snarly snarl'y adj.
- A tangled mass, as of hair or yarn.
- A confused, complicated, or tangled situation; a predicament.
v., snarled, snarl·ing, snarls.v.intr.
To become tangled or confused.
- To tangle or knot (hair, for example).
- To confuse; complicate.
An uproar; a free-for-all. See synonyms at brawl.
- 〔dnibrùk | dn-〕
Some animals provoke in us a reflexive ugh, yuck or eeww. They are, to put it bluntly, ugly animals. View a slide show featuring some of the world's ugliest animals, submit a photo of your pet or an animal you have encountered or view submissions from other readers.
By ERIK ECKHOLM 29 minutes ago
Heartland Quality Egg Farm, where each cage is the size of a newspaper, with six or seven hens. Ohio farmers agreed to phase out tight confinement of livestock, underscoring the clout of the animal welfare movement.