2011年12月19日 星期一

up and about, pragmatic, pragmatist

“I try to busy myself,” he said, “but from time to time in idle moments, my mind goes back to the happy days we were up and about together.” Agnostic and pragmatic in his approach to life, he spoke with something like envy of people who find strength and solace in religion. “How do I comfort myself?” he asked. “Well, I say, ‘Life is just like that.’ ”


up and about

Also, up and around; up and doing. Active again, especially after an illness or rest, as in They had her up and about just one day after surgery, or I'm so glad you're up and around; we need your help, or It's time to be up and doing. [Early 1800s]



A Pragmatist and his free spirit: the half-century romance of Hu Shih and Edith Clifford Williams - Google 圖書結果

books.google.com/books?isbn=9629963418...Susan Chan Egan, Chih-P'Ing Chou - 2009 - 香港:中文大學
周質平的中文書早問市: 胡適與韋蓮司:深情五十年 台北:聯經 1998
instrumentalism
(ĭn'strə-mĕn'tl-ĭz'əm) pronunciation
n.
A pragmatic theory that ideas are instruments that function as guides of action, their validity being determined by the success of the action.
[名][U]道具主義, 概念道具説:概念の価値は行動の手段としての有効性によって決まるというDeweyの考え方.

pragmatic[prag・mat・ic]

  • レベル:社会人必須
  • 発音記号[prægmǽtik]

[形]
1 ((ほめて))実利[実用, 実際]的な.
2 《哲学》実用[実利]主義の.
3 国事の, 内政の.
4 〈人が〉多忙な;活動的な.
5 おせっかいな;口出しする;独断的な;頑固な;うぬぼれた.
━━[名]おせっかいな[独断的な, うぬぼれた]人.

沒有留言: