By KEN BELSON and HIROKO TABUCHI
The flow of bad news has undermined optimistic statements by officials.
- The act of flowing.
- The smooth motion characteristic of fluids.
- A stream or current.
- A flood or overflow.
- A residual mass that has stopped flowing: a hardened lava flow.
- A continuous output or outpouring: a flow of ideas; produced a steady flow of stories.
- A continuous movement or circulation: the flow of traffic; a flow of paperwork across his desk.
- The amount that flows in a given period of time.
- The rising of the tide.
- Continuity and smoothness of appearance.
- A general movement or tendency: a dissenter who went against the flow of opinion.
- The sequence in which operations are performed.
- An apparent ease or effortlessness of performance: "An athlete must learn to forget the details of his or her training to achieve the instinctive sense of flow that characterizes a champion" (Frederick Turner).
- Menstrual discharge.