- At or in that place: sit over there.
- To, into, or toward that place: wouldn't go there again.
- At that stage, moment, or point: Stop there before you make any more mistakes.
- In that matter: I can't agree with him there.
- Used to introduce a clause or sentence: There are numerous items. There must be another exit.
- Used to indicate an unspecified person in direct address: Hello there.
- Used especially for emphasis after the demonstrative pronoun that or those, or after a noun modified by the demonstrative adjective that or those: That person there ought to know the directions to town.
- Nonstandard. Used for emphasis between a demonstrative adjective meaning “that” or “those” and a noun: No one is sitting at that there table. Them there beans ought to be picked.
That place or point: stopped and went on from there.interj.
Used to express feelings such as relief, satisfaction, sympathy, or anger: There, now I can have some peace!
[Middle English, from Old English thǣr, thēr.]
there was found in the Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary at the entries listed below.
- there (PLACE)
- there (INTRODUCING A SENTENCE)
- there (SYMPATHY/SATISFACTION)
- then again
- be not all there
- Behind every great/successful man there stands a woman.
- There wasn't a dry eye in the house.
- if ever there was one
- There are plenty more fish in the sea.
- You've got me there!
- not go there
- There is a God!
- There but for the grace of God (go I).
- hang on in there
- here and there
- there is no holding sb (back)
- be well in there
- know all there is to know about sth
- be neither here nor there
- a nip (here) and a tuck (there)
- Put it there!
- so there
- have got something there
- there is no substitute for sth
- there is no telling
- then and there
- there and back
- get there
- be there for sb
- there you are
- there you go
- there you go again
- there, there
- there isn't a thing you can do
- like there is/was no tomorrow
- be up there with sb
━━ ad. そこに［で，へ］, あそこに［で，へ］; その点で（は）; ((～ is [are]として)) …がある; ほら, それ ((注意を促す)); ((～ comes [seems]として)) …が来る［…らしい］; 〔話〕 ((形容詞的)) （あ）そこの.
Are you there? ((電話で)) もしもし（あなたですか）.
be all there 〔話〕 しっかりして［正気で］いる.
get there 〔話〕 成功する.
have been there (before) 〔話〕 （経験して）よく知っている, おてのものだ.
Put it there! 〔俗〕 （和解などの印に）じゃ握手だ.
that there あの，その.
there and back 往復で.
there and then / then and there その時その場で.
There is no doing …することはできない.
There it is. それで困っているんだ; （…が）そういう実状なんだ; もうどうしようもない.
There's a good boy [girl, dog]! いい子だからね.
There seem(s) (to be) …らしい.
There's … for you! （皮肉で）これこそ…というものだ.
There you are! それごらん; （物・金銭などをさし出して）はい, どうぞ; ((andの後で)) それでオーケー［終わり］です; ((butの後で)) （そういう事情だから）仕方がない.
There you go [go again]! 〔話〕 そら, またやっている［始まった］.
You have me there! 負けた; 参った; 私は知りません.
━━ n. ((前置詞の目的語で)) （あ）そこ (from ～).
━━ int. そら！; ほら！; あれ！; さあさあ！; それ見ろ！; （呼びかけで）おい君.
So there! 〔話〕 もう決めたんだ（決心は変わらない） ((拒絶などで)); さあどうだ（参ったか）.
There now! それ見ろ！