2016年12月22日 星期四

part way, poetical fire, furor, bazaar, part ways with, souq/souk

We've been Trumped! China's Alibaba is a 'notorious' knock-offs souk, says US watchdog
The Register · 2 hours ago
「惡名市場」

Google, Wal-Mart Part Ways Over Local Shopping Ads



"Sing Fat Co. Leading Oriental Bazaar": From San Francisco Street Photographs: Grant -- Pine to California

SUMMARY

[business card/postcard]

PART OF GROUP

San Francisco Street Photographs

San Francisco Street Photographs: Grant -- Pine to California

Yahoo! sheds another boss

Degree of pain

Yahoo! parts ways with its chief executive, Scott Thompson

part ways with ...[part ways with ...]

…と別れる.

Political Furor Over BSkyB Lobbying
News Corp.'s James Murdoch, at a media-ethics inquiry, was grilled about the company's relationship with the U.K. government minister who oversaw a crucial regulatory review of its effort to gain full control of BSkyB.
 
Freeh Responds to Furor Over MF Global Bonuses Louis J. Freeh, the trustee overseeing the MF Global bankruptcy, spent a lot of time on Tuesday talking about bonuses in his first appearance before Congress to discuss the collapse of the brokerage.


furor[fu・ror]

  • 発音記号[fjúərɔːr]
[名][U][C]
1 熱狂;激しい感激, 熱狂的興奮状態.
2 熱狂的大流行;熱狂的賞賛
make [create] a furor
熱狂的賞賛を博する. (また((主に英))fu・rore 〔fjurri〕)
3 ((文))激怒(fury);逆上(frenzy);狂気.












剛剛到日本的CD分會去看一下....我想一個社會的質量難說清楚。台灣人口少、中國人口多,不過,此兩國都沒有日本學界的一些特色。

這幾天關於CD(狄更斯)小說中的幾處問題,都有朋友指導。列出它們,等幾什年之後的翻譯者利用。
-----

早上讀CD的DC一段(XXVI. I Fall into Captivity)*,我手頭的翻譯本,對於地理、歷史都打馬虎眼,譬如說倫敦繁榮的西東(South East) 郊區的Norwood Road,、the Park,還有 the BAZAAR(一般直覺:「在我們這裡就像是東門市場,我想應該可泛指廉價商店街。」*請問這 THE BAZAAR 是什麼地方?)等等。他們的英文都好,不過都忘記the 指的是特定的地方等……

謝RL啦:方才查閱聯經版思果譯(p.583)
..I haunted the Bazaar like an unquiet spirit,
…;在商品陳列所出沒,像個冤魂。…
Oxford Explanatory Notes (p.896)
387 the Bazaar: the Soho Bazaar on the west side of Soho Square, established in 1815. It was described in Peter Cunningham’s Handbook of London: Past and Present (1850) as ’the best bazaar in London for fancy articles, and is much frequented’. It closed in 1885.
---


And yet, wretched cripple as I made myself by this act of homage to Dora, I walked miles upon miles daily in the hope of seeing her. Not only was I soon as well known on the Norwood Road as the postmen on that beat, but I pervaded London likewise. I walked about the streets where the best shops for ladies were, I haunted the Bazaar like an unquiet spirit, I fagged through the Park again and again, long after I was quite knocked up. Sometimes, at long intervals, and on rare occasions, I saw her. Perhaps I saw her glove waved in a carriage window; perhaps I met her, walked with her and Miss Murdstone a little way, and spoke to her. In the latter case I was always very miserable afterwards, to think that I had said nothing to the purpose; or that she had no idea of the extent of my devotion, or that she cared nothing about me. I was always looking out, as may be supposed, for another invitation to Mr. Spenlow’s house. I was always being disappointed, for I got none.
Charles Dickens. (1812–1870). David Copperfield.
XXVI. I Fall into Captivity
*****------
請問 什麼叫POETIC FURY? (一般翻譯為「詩人之激情」,不過這是「不知所云」。出處GE/great_expectations /CHAPTER 15
- still, in my desire to be wiser, I got this composition by heart
with the utmost gravity; nor do I recollect that I questioned its
merit, except that I thought (as I still do) the amount of Too rul
somewhat in excess of the poetry. In my hunger for information, I made
proposals to Mr. Wopsle to bestow some intellectual crumbs upon me;
with which he kindly complied. As it turned out, however, that he only
wanted me for a dramatic lay-figure, to be contradicted and embraced
and wept over and bullied and clutched and stabbed and knocked about
in a variety of ways, I soon declined that course of instruction;
though not until Mr. Wopsle in his poetic fury had severely mauled me. )

----
小讀者:……furor poeticus 譯成英文即 poetic fury
詩人(瘋狂)的(創作)激情烈火興奮狀態? 詩人/詩的創作都非凡人狀態?

poetic fury ==> poetic rage ==> poetic madness ===> poetic frenzy

What is translated here as enthusiasm is not what
Plato had in mind when he spoke of the furor poeticus,
a concept that has played a significant role in the
literary criticism of the sixteenth century (Weinberg,
I, Ch. VII). Finck’s “enthusiasm” shares with Plato’s
furor poeticus the element of emotional intensity with
which poet or musician embraces his chosen art, but
what separates the two concepts of Finck and Plato
is the element of rationality. Plato believes that once
the poet is inspired—and without inspiration he has
no invention—he is out of his senses and out of his
mind. “For not by art does the poet sing, but by power
divine” (Lowinsky [1964], p. 488). But the Renaissance
theorist, however strongly he may stress irrational
elements, never abandons the idea of a rational and
practical mastery of the musical craft as an indispensa-
ble basis for the work of genius. Indeed, Finck stresses
the necessity for the young genius to grow up in the
workshop of an older master, whose compositions he
should take as models for his own.

我們或許找到原出處,不過我們並沒說出用什麼翻譯比較好。




souk

Line breaks: souk
(also suk, sukh, or suq)

noun

An Arab market or marketplace; a bazaar.

Souq - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Souq
A souq or souk (Arabic: سوق‎, Hebrew: שוק‎ sūq, also spelled shuk, shooq, soq, souk, esouk, suk, sooq, souq, or suq) is an open-air marketplace or commercial ...

Bazaar


A bazaar is a market: and originates from the Middle ...

Al-Madina Souq


Al-Madina Souq (Arabic: سوق المدينة‎) is the covered souq ...
More results from wikipedia.org »





part wayLine breaks: part way




Definition of part way in English:

adverb

Part of the way:part way along the corridor he stopped
MORE EXAMPLE SENTENCES
  • However, the light triangular base doesn't lend itself to keeping the joystick steady on a desk or feeling comfortable while held, and the support part-way down the joystick actually started to wear at my hand before long.
  • It was only part-way into the chase that Simon realised the two suspects on foot were carrying firearms so he immediately began to give a running commentary to his colleagues over his radio so they could call for back-up.
  • You know, we're already part-way into the term.

沒有留言: