2017年2月26日 星期日

a stand, how far, stand to, light out


"A stand can be made against invasion by an army; no stand can be made against invasion by an idea." - Victor Hugo, born #OTD 1802





“But I reckon I got to light out for the Territory ahead of the rest, because Aunt Sally she's going to adopt me and sivilize me, and I can't stand it. I been there before.” 
― from "The Adventures of Huck Finn" by Mark Twain

LIGHT OUT
North American informal Depart hurriedly:he lit out for California to ‘find’ himself



"If the nation should fall for this deceit I can only conclude that the lives of my comrades – Irish, Scots, Welsh and English – were lost in vain. I am 96. I remember how far we have come. I know what we stand to lose."


Letter: Don’t abandon the Europe that I fought for – and my comrades died for
Letters: Britain out means a return to the early-20th-century chaos of warring states against each other
THEGUARDIAN.COM




how far





1Used to ask how great a distance is:they wanted to know how far he could travel
2To what extent:he was not sure how far she was committed
stand
noun
  1. 1.
    an attitude towards a particular issue.
    "the party's tough stand on immigration"

  2. 2.
    a rack, base, or piece of furniture for holding, supporting, or displaying something.
    "a microphone stand"


stand to 1





[OFTEN IN IMPERATIVE] Military Stand ready for an attack, especially one before dawn or afterdark:orders came to the guardroom to stand to




stand-to 2 

Pronunciation:




NOUN

[MASS NOUN] Military
1The state of readiness for action or attack.
1.1The formal start to a day of military operations:the sky was getting light and it would soon be stand-to

沒有留言: