Is this the world's toughest father-in-law? British businessman challenges future son-in-law to North Pole expedition in exchange for daughter's hand in marriage
- Hannah and Jake have been sweethearts since childhood
- Father-in-law Steve wanted Jake to prove commitment to marriage
- Also saw it as a way of induction into the close family
- Pair navigated 100kg sledges through the moving ice of the Arctic Circle
- Temperatures dropped as low as -50 degrees Celsius
- Raised over £30,000 for the Colourful Life Foundation and National Osteoporosis Society
Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2642868/
sweetheartLine breaks: sweet|heart
Pronunciation: /ˈswiːthɑːt /
- 1.2A particularly lovable or pleasing person or thing: he is an absolute sweetheart
- 1.3 [as modifier] • informal Denoting an arrangement reached privately by two sides, especially an employer and a trade union, in their own interests: he cut a sweetheart deal with a politically well-placed union to get their endorsement in his re-election campaignMore example sentences
- Arguably, the only reason the Valentia consortium won was due to a sweetheart deal with the trade unions.
- Political watchdog groups have described it as a sweetheart arrangement for corporations close to the Bush administration.
- Laing has signed a sweetheart deal with the Ucatt union under which workers will be brought onto a contract (rather than be considered self employed) - but at a loss of pay.