2009年2月16日 星期一

red bean paste/jam, taiyaki, piping hot



Perhaps at the urging of the gods that I go easy on alcohol, I started to develop a sweet tooth in my 50s instead. I sometimes stand in line to buy taiyaki, a fish-shaped pancake stuffed with bean jam. As I open the paper bag and bite into the head sticking out of it, I can feel the steam and sweet scent of bean jam. Blowing on the piping hot pancake to cool it is a winter delight. "I break a taiyaki/ And blow on its guts" is a haiku by Michio Nakahara.


Taiyaki

Taiyaki (鯛焼き , lit. "baked sea bream"?) is a Japanese fish-shaped cake. The most common filling is red bean paste that is made from sweetened azuki beans. Other common fillings may be custard, chocolate, or cheese. Some shops even sell taiyaki with okonomiyaki, gyoza filling, or a sausage inside.

Taiyaki is made using taiyaki, regular pancake or waffle batter. The batter is poured into a fish-shaped mold for each side. The filling is then put on one side and the mold is closed. It is then cooked on both sides until golden brown.

Taiyaki was first baked by a sweet shop Naniwaya in Azabu, Tokyo in 1909, and now can be found all over Japan, especially at food courts of supermarkets and Japanese festivals ( matsuri?).


<– Back to results

piping hot adverb USUALLY APPROVING
describes very hot food or drinks

沒有留言: