2016年2月29日 星期一

redoubtable, indubitable, Clear the air


The Japan Times

Japan's cult brands get into character
When the topic turns to “Cool Japan” and the various related efforts to capitalize on Japan's indubitable cultural capital internationally, commendation ...
. on Page 72:
" ... One redoubtable Tory was granted a special place in the sun. Dr Johnson, the literary giant of the age, basked in the political approval of the new regime, signalized with a pension from Lord Bute in 1762. ... "


I've been reading some interesting "where is Google headed" speculation from a the redoubtable but undoubtable Om Malik.


Clear the air (澄清誤會)
含義: 化解隱藏的不滿;消除兩人之間的不良情緒。
例句: “My friend has been ignoring my texts for days. She must be mad at me, but I don't know why. I want to clear the air, so I hope she will meet me to talk!”(我的朋友好幾天都不理會我的簡訊。她一定是生我的氣了,但我不明白為什麼。我想澄清誤會,所以我希望她能跟我當面談談!)


redoubtable 
adjective LITERARY OR HUMOROUS
very strong, especially in character; producing respect and a little fear in others:
Tonight Villiers faces the most redoubtable opponent of his boxing career.


undoubtable
indubitable
adjective FORMAL
that cannot be doubted:
an indubitable fact

indubitably
adverb FORMAL
He looked different, but it was indubitably John.

沒有留言: