2009年1月28日 星期三

all-around/ all-round, the tie breaker


AN APPRAISAL
A Relentless Updike Mapped America’s Mysteries
By MICHIKO KAKUTANI
Endowed with a journalist’s eye and a poet’s gift for metaphor, John Updike was an all-around man of letters.



“I still don’t know how they broke the tie,” Liukin said after the medal ceremony. “I guess one judge liked her better.

“But, like my dad said, at the end of the day, I have the most important medal,” she said of the all-around gold. “That’s the most important thing. If it happened in the all-around, I would have been much more upset.”


“As soon as I leave this arena, I’m going to forget this,” Liukin said of the tie breaker turned heartbreaker.

all-round Show phonetics
adjective [before noun] (US all-around)
describes a person who has a good variety of skills and abilities:
She's a fantastic all-round sportswoman.

the tie breaker 比賽同分時如何分出勝負之規則


all-around

━━ a. 〔米〕 =all-round.

all-round

━━ a. 多方面にわたる, 万能の; 包括的な; 完全な.
all-rounder n. 万能な人[選手].

沒有留言: