2023年6月25日 星期日

recognition, trying , ostracism, represented the country’s most dramatic power struggle




This was a recognition that had never in the slightest manner entered into my mind, and it was hard for me to realize that I was to be honoured by a degree from the oldest and most renowned university in America. As I sat upon my veranda, with this letter in my hand, tears came into my eyes. My whole former life -- my life as a slave on the plantation, my work in the coal-mine, the times when I was without food and clothing, when I made my bed under a sidewalk, my struggles for an education, the trying days I had had at Tuskegee, days when I did not know where to turn for a dollar to continue the work there, the ostracism and sometimes oppression of my race, -- all this passed before me and nearly overcame me.

(思果 )這是我心裡從來沒有絲毫想到的對我的抬舉,這樣一座美國歷史最悠久,最著名的大學,把容譽學位送給我,是我難以想像的事情。 我坐在走廊上,手上拿著這封信,眼淚充滿了我的眼眶。 我以前的種種生活經歷--我在大農場裡做奴隸,在煤礦裡做工人,那一段無衣無食的時,睡在木板鋪的行人道下面,為受教育的掙扎,特斯特基的艱苦的日子,有時為了繼續辦我的事業,我連一塊錢都不知那裡去找,我的同胞對我的排斥和壓制(此處翻譯不完全--hc)--這一切都重上心頭,使我難以支持。


Definition

<– Back to results

recognize (ACCEPT), UK USUALLY recognise Show phonetics
verb
1 [T] to accept that something is legal, true or important:
The international community has refused to recognize (= officially accept the existence of) the newly independent nation state.
[+ (that)] He sadly recognized (that) he would die childless.
You must recognize the seriousness of the problems we are facing.

2 [T often passive] If a person's achievements are recognized, official appreciation is shown for them:
The Prime Minister recognized her services to her country by awarding her an MBE.

recognized Show phonetics
adjective
If someone or something is recognized, it is generally accepted that they have a particular position or quality:
Professor Jones is a recognized authority on ancient Egypt.
Violence in schools is a recognized problem.

recognition Show phonetics
noun [U]
1 an acceptance that something is true or legal:
It's a new country, hoping for diplomatic recognition from the international community.
[+ that] There's a growing recognition that this country can no longer afford to be a nuclear power.

2 If you are given recognition, people show appreciation of your achievements:
Ella complained that the company never gave her any recognition for her work.
He was presented with a gold watch in recognition of (= to show appreciation of) his years as club secretary.
━━ n. 認識, 承認; (状況などの)理解; 表彰, 報酬; 見覚え, あいさつ; 【心】再認.
beyond [out of] (all) recognition 見分けのつかないほど, 見るかげもなく.
in recognition of …を認めて, …の報償として.

<– Back to results

not by any manner of means UK OLD-FASHIONED
not in any way:
I'm not satisfied with his excuse - not by any manner of means.

<– Back to results

try (WORRY) Show phonetics
verb [T]
to worry or annoy someone or upset a person's patience with many, often slight, difficulties:
The demands of the job have tried him sorely.
He's been trying my patience all morning with his constant questions.
Her endless demands would try the patience of a saint (= are very annoying).

trying Show phonetics
adjective
annoying and difficult:
I've had a very trying day at work.
He can be rather trying at times.

os・tra・cism

放逐
━━ n. 【史】貝殻[陶片]追放; 追放.
ostracize


沒有留言: